Rex-Kiss Lifts Lions Over Aggies In Sudden Death

Nov. 19, 2004

DAVIS, Calif. - Endre Rex-Kiss scored on a rebound and putback with 46.23 seconds remaining in the first sudden-death overtime to lead Loyola Marymount to a 7-6 win over UC Davis in the first semifinal of the WWPA Championships at Schaal Aquatics Center Friday.

The Aggies move to 17-15 on the season. LMU, which had beaten Whittier in overtime Thursday, improves to 18-11.

The Lions held UC Davis scoreless in its final 17 possessions from the fourth quarter through two overtime periods and a sudden-death period. LMU had numerous opportunities to win the game in the second overtime, but Aggie freshman goalkeeper saved four of six attempts in a span of a minute to force a seventh period.

LMU took an early 1-0 lead after Tyler Swanson converted the game's first 6-on-5 situation, but Trevor Long converted a 4-meter penalty at 2:43 to equalize the game. Patrick Jacobson then scored in transition with 25 seconds remaining in the period, to give the Aggies a 2-1 lead after one quarter.

After Jacobson drew an ejection at the 5:39 mark in the second quarter, Kevin Bacharach completed the power play to allow UC Davis to pull ahead, 3-1. However, the Lions' Culberto Hernandez fired in an unassisted goal from six meters out, then scored on a 6-5 chance to tie the game, 3-3, at the 3:02 marker. On the ensuing possession, however, Jacobson sent a skip shot under the arms of LMU goalie Ian Elliott, sending UC Davis back up. The Aggies held the 4-3 lead at the half.

Brian McShane tied the game at 4-4 with 3:45 remaining in the third quarter. But UC Davis finished the frame in strong fashion, stealing LMU's final three possessions. Jacobson put the Aggies ahead with a shot from five meters out, then Welch assisted Jacobson at the 1:28 mark on yet another counterattack, sending the UC Davis lead to 6-4.



After a double ejection call, Matt Reynolds scored on a 5-on-5 sitiation at 4:42 in the fourth, cutting the Aggie margin to 6-5. Then Sean Wimer's floater glanced off McGee's fingertips and into the cage, tying the score at 6-6 with 2:03 remaining. Welch attempted a game-winner with six second left in regulation, but it sailed wide. LMU was unable to take another shot and the two teams went to extra frames.

The only shot on goal in the first overtime was by UC Davis' Tom Jay, who fired a long ball from midtank in the final seconds. Elliott stopped the attempt, holding the tie into the second overtime. It was McGee's heroics in that sixth stanza that kept UC Davis in contention. The Lions shot 0-for-6 during the second overtime.

UC Davis won the sprint in first sudden death, extending an ejection situation in the final seconds of the second overtime. However, Jay's shot was field-blocked and Hernandez ended the Aggie threat with a steal at 6-meters. After each team traded defensive stops, McShane attacked the UC Davis cage with less than a minute remaining. McGee blocked that attempt, but Rex-Kiss was there for the rebound and game-winner.

Jacobson finished with a game-high four goals for UC Davis. McGee recorded 11 saves in net.

The Aggies will finish their season in Saturday's third-place game at 1:30 p.m. LMU will face the winner of Friday's UC San Diego-Redlands semi at 3:30.

LMU 1 2 1 2 0 0 1 - 7
UC Davis 2 2 2 0 0 0 0 - 6

GOALS - LMU: Culberto Hernanez 2, Tyler Swanson 1, Brian McShane 1, Sean Wimer 1, Matt Reynolds 1, Endre Rex-Kiss 1. UC Davis: Patrick Jacobson 4, Trevor Long 1, David Welch 1.

GOALIE SAVES - LMU: Ian Elliott 6. UC Davis: Mike McGee 11.