Feb. 13, 2013
Aggie Game Notes
UC Davis (10-12, 5-6) at Hawai'i (11-11, 7-4)
Thu., Feb. 14 • 9 p.m.
UC Davis at Cal State Northridge (12-11, 6-5)
Sat., Feb. 16 • 2 p.m.
• UC Davis tries to even its Big West record for the second time this season, and the first time since beating Long Beach State on Jan. 31, when the Aggies play at Hawai’i for the third time in the past six seasons... It’s also the second straight season they’ve traveled to the Oahu to face the Rainbow Wahine... UC Davis is 3-0 at Hawai’i.
• The Aggies have won two straight on the road but those came on the heels of a four-game losing streak away from home.
• Freshman Celia Marfone
provided herself a season highlight by scoring a team-high tying and season-best 18 points in Saturday’s win over Cal Poly... She was helped by an 8-for-9 performance from the line.
• Senior Blair Shinoda
had 13 assists last weekend, including a career-high nine against the Mustangs.
• The Rainbow Wahine, behind leading scorer Kamilah Martin (15.5 ppg), are playing at home for the first time since Jan. 26... Hawai’i is 7-7 on its own floor.
• Ashlee Guay (13.8) and Marta Masoni (12.4) pace Cal State Northridge in scoring... The Matadors will be looking to exact revenge after losing 61-46 at UC Davis on Jan. 17
• UC Davis leads the Big West in free throw pct. (.742), steals (11.7) and three-pointers per game (7.3).
• Jennifer Gross
is in her second season as head coach of the UC Davis women’s basketball team after leading the Aggies to their third consecutive postseason appearance in 2011-12... In her first year at the helm of the program, the Aggies saw several milestones including Kasey Riecks’ 1,000th career point, and Samantha Meggison
and Hannah Stephens’ selections to the All-Big West Conference team.
• Laura Beeman is in her first season with Hawai’i and as a coach at the Div. I level, but brings an extensive background of success to her new position... She captured her 400th career game as a coach earlier this month... Much of her tenure was spend at Mt. San Antonio College in Southern California where she won 10 conference titles along with four state championships.
• Jason Flowers is in his third year with Cal State Northridge and has brought good fortunes to the Matadors in his brief tenure there... He was the 2011-12 Big West Coach of the Year last season after leading Northridge to a 17-14 record and an 11-5 mark in the league... He previously coached at UC Riverside before taking over the Matadors’ program... Northridge advanced to the WNIT last season.
• Both games will be broadcast on KDVS 90.3 FM with Greg Cotta on the call.
• An internet simulcast will also be available on ucdavisaggies.com via Game Central by Stretch Internet.
• A free live video stream will be available for via bigwest.tv or ucdavisaggies.com.
• Live stats will also be available via www.ucdavisaggies.com.
• Fans can track the action, including in-game updates, photos, video clips and more via Twitter by following @UCDavisAggies.
• The Rainbow Wahine enter the weekend having won two of their last three games and four of the past six... They are even-steven (7-7) at home and on the road (4-4).
• Kamilah Martin is third in the Big West in scoring (15.5), second in rebounding (9.8) and third in FG pct. (.537)... No other player is averaging double-figure scoring although Ashleigh Karaitiana (9.0) is close.
• Hawai’i has been particularly effective on the boards compared to its opponents... It has a league-best 4.8 rpg margin and its 34.0 rpg allowed only trails UCSB (33.1).
• The Rainbow Wahine have not been effective from beyond the arc, ranking ninth in the Big West in both three-point pct. (.257) and three-pointers per game (3.0).
• The Rainbow Wahine beat UC Davis 71-63 at The Pavilion on Jan. 17, evening the all-time series at 2-2.. The Aggies, however, are 2-0 at Stan Sheriff Center since moving to Div. I in 2007.
SCOUTING CAL STATE NORTHRIDGE
• Defense has spelled success for the Matadors this season... They rank second in the Big West in points allowed (59.7), are first in FG pct. defense (.358) and are fourth in three-point defense (.280).
• Cal State Northridge is also second in steals (11.4), trailing only UC Davis (11.7).
• They’re also just one of three league teams to outscore their opponent this season (+1.4 pg), helped by Ashlee Guay (13.8) who’s fourth in the league in scoring... Marta Masoni (12.4) is fourth.
• Camille Mahlknecht ranks fifth in rebounding (8.1) for Northridge which is second as a team (41.7).
• Masoni has provided the deep threat for the Matadors, averaging a league-high 2.8 pg... Her 65 total is also best in the Big West.
• UC Davis upended Cal State Northridge 61-46 on Hamilton Court on Jan. 17, extending its all-time series lead to 15-12 over the Matadors.
• The Aggies have won three of the past four matchups at The Matadome but Northridge owns the most recent victory there, a 63-60 win last season.
LAST TIME OUT
• The Aggies used an 11-0 start out of the gates to take an early advantage, and then had a 12-2 run in the second to break open a close game, as they went on to snap Cal Poly’s three-game winning streak, 79-69, last Saturday on Hamilton Court.
• Freshman Celia Marfone
had a breakout game, pouring in 18 points, including going 8 for 9 from the line... Sydnee Fipps
matched her with 18 points while grabbing a team-high seven rebounds.
• Molly Greubel
(13) and Alsyon Doherty (10) added double-figure points while Blair Shinoda
dished out a career-high nine assists... The Aggies had 20 assists on 25 baskets overall.
• UC Davis won the game despite turning the ball over 23 times.x
TAKING THE CHARITY
• UC Davis has moved into the top spot in the Big West in free throw shooting at 74.2 pct... Going 19 for 22 at the line against Cal Poly certainly helped the Aggies’ cause... They are 34th nationally.
• Sydnee Fipps
(.842) is third among individuals while freshman Molly Gruebel, who had a streak of 22 straight earlier this season, is fifth (.813).
HAWAI’I HAS BEEN AN ISLAND THE AGGIES LOVE
• UC Davis is making its third trip to Hawai’i since moving to Div. I in 2007, and so far, the Aggies have made themselves at home.
• They announced their Div. I presence in 2007-08 by sweeping Northern Arizona, Hawai’i and Washington to capture the Waikiki Beach Marriott Classic.
• UC Davis returned to Stan Sheriff Center last season and claimed the Rainbow Wahine Shootout with wins over Denver and Hawaii... A loss to Portland State at the event is the only blemish on the Aggies’ Oahu resumé.
FIPPS HAS BEEN MODEL OF CONSISTENCY
• Sydnee Fipps
has been a model of consistency for the Aggies this season, evidence mostly by her scoring where she leads the team (17.1).
• She has scored in double figures in 19 games including the first 13 to start the season... Included were back-to-back games of 23 and 29 points against UC Riverside and Long Beach State, respectively.
• How consistent is she? During a nine-game stretch between Nov. 30 and Jan. 10, Fipps only scored once outside the range of 14 to 19 points -- and that’s when she had 22 at USC.
SHINODA CAN DISH IT OUT WITH THE BEST OF THEM
• Blair Shinoda
has been on a roll dishing out the assists as of late, averaging 4.1 over her last nine games, and that includes two games where she only got one each.
• She’s had at least four assists seven times in that run and had 22 in the Aggies’ recent four-game homestand.
• Shinoda capped the recent surge with a career-high nine assists against Cal Poly, most for an Aggie this season... She has 74 assists for the season, nearly twice as many as her next closest teammate.
COMING UP NEXT
• UC Davis returns to The Pavilion next week for games against UC Riverside (Feb. 21) and Cal State Fullerton (Feb. 23)... The latter game will be part of a doubleheader with the Aggie men’s team which hosts Northern Colorado in an ESPN BracketBuster matchup at 1:30 p.m.
The Last Meeting
January 19, 2013
Fipps Leads Aggies as Hawai'i Rallies for Win
Sydnee Fipps scored a game-high 26 points and grabbed a team-high five rebounds as the UC Davis women's basketball shot 50 percent from the field in the first half, but could not thwart a second-half comeback by Hawai'i and fell 71-63 on Saturday at The Pavilion in Davis.
The Last Meeting
|Cal State Northridge||46
January 17, 2013
Aggies Take Down League-Leading Matadors
Aniya Baker scored a career-high 15 points and the UC Davis women's basketball team never trailed as the Aggies held league-leading Cal State Northridge to a season-low 46 points in a 61-46 win on Thursday at The Pavilion in Davis.