Feb. 27, 2013
• UC Davis looks to take a step closer to a Big West Tournament berth when the Aggies visit teams behind them (UC Irvine, 8th) and ahead of them (Long Beach State, 5th) in the standings... The top eight teams earn a berth in next month's tournament which starts at UC Irvine on Mar. 13... UC Davis is currently a half-game in front of the Anteaters and 1.5 games back of the 49ers.
• UC Davis is just 2-5 over its last seven games, averaging 74.5 ppg in its wins during that span and just 49.6 • ppg in the losses.
F Sydnee Fipps is averaging 7.7 rpg over her last three games, above her 4.9 avg. by nearly 3.0 rpg... It ties her best three-game rebounding stretch of the season.
• The Aggies' 30 turnovers against Cal State Fullerton last weekend were a season-high while the 25 they forced against the Titans marked the fifth time an opponent has had that many against UC Davis' defense
• Fipps enters the weekend ranked second in the Big West in scoring (17.1 ppg) and 67th in NCAA Div. I... Her 82.9 pct. from the free throw line is 57th in the country... As a team, the Aggies are 37th (.742) from the charity stripe.
• G Cortney French is 61st nationally in 3-pters per game (2.3) and 79th in 3-pt. percentage (.346).
• Jennifer Gross is in her second season as head coach of the UC Davis women's basketball team after leading the Aggies to their third consecutive postseason appearance in 2011-12... In her first year at the helm of the program, the Aggies saw several milestones including Kasey Riecks' 1,000th career point, and Samantha Meggison and Hannah Stephens' selections to the All-Big West Conference team.
• Doug Oliver is in his first season as head coach of UC Irvine after serving as an assistant coach with the Anteaters in 2011-12... He brings a wealth of experience from the collegiate men's game having been an assistant coach at Stanford (1986-98; 2006-08) on two different occasions and also as head coach at Idaho State (1998-2006)... Oliver has also been an assistant at three other schools.
• Jody Wynn is in her fourth season as head coach of Long Beach State and is coming off an impressive 2011-12 season in which she led the 49ers to the Big West Tournament championship game.... Previously, she was on the staff at USC for five seasons and was also an assistant coach at Pepperdine... Wynn highlighted her first year at LBSU last season with a 19-point comeback win at Cal State Northridge in the first round of the Big West Tournament.
SCOUTING UC IRVINE
• The Anteaters bring a four-game winning streak into the Thursday's game and have won five of their past six games, including a 70-57 win at UC Davis on Feb. 2... Their recent surge came on the heels of an eight-game losing streak... They've also won their last three at The Bren Center.
• Camille Buckley has been the force for UC Irvine, averaging 11.2 ppg and 9.5 rpg to rank 14th and 3rd, respectively, in the Big West... She's also shooting 46.2 percent from the field, sixth-best in the league.
• Jennifer Tsuromoto is averaging 10.9 ppg, has 32 treys and has dished a team-high 72 assists.
• The Anteaters are only averaging 55.5 ppg (8th) and are shooting just 35.2 percent (9th) from the floor.
• UC Davis leads the all-time series 18-4 but have lost the last three matchups, including a 60-54 victory at The Bren Center last season... The Aggies owned a 12-game winning streak in the series from 2005-11.
• UC Davis is 8-1 all-time at UC Irvine.
SCOUTING LONG BEACH STATE
• The 49ers have won three of their past four games, including their most recent home matchup against Cal State Northridge... They're 5-2 among visiting Big West opponents this season.
• Long Beach State is allowing 60.9 ppg, while limiting foes to 37.0 percent from the floor (4th), including a stingy 28.0 percent (2nd) from beyond the arc.
• Alex Sanchez (10.8 ppg) is the only 49er averaging double figures while Devin Hudson's 7.7 rpg. ranks her fifth among all Big West players... She has pulled down nearly 100 offensive boards.
• Sanchez has been effective running Long Beach State's offense, posting a 1.5 assist/turnover ratio to rank fourth in the conference... Her 105 assists are third-most among league players.
• Led by Lauren Spargo (34), three 49ers have made at least 30 three-pointers this season... Long Beach State averages 5.7 per game, fourth-best in the Big West.
• UC Davis' 68-62 win on Hamilton Court on Jan. 31 evened the all-time series at 10-10... The Aggies have won eight of the past 12 meetings but haven't won at The Pyramid since posting a 70-46 victory during the 2009-10 season.
• The Aggies are 3-5 at Long Beach State since the teams resumed their series in 2004-05.
FIPPS HAS THE ROARING `20's
• G Sydnee Fipps scored 27 points against UC Riverside last week, just two points off her career-high of 28 scored earlier against Long Beach State... It's the seventh time this season she's scored at least 22 points and gave her six straight games in double figures.
LETTING THEM FLY
• G Cortney French is one of the most dangerous long-range shooters in the Big West, having canned 56 treys this season... She has 23 more than any other Aggie and has now made 167 for her career... French has made as many as six in game twice, most recently against UC Irvine on Feb. 2.
YOUTH DOMINATES ROSTER • UC Davis has a roster made up predominantly of underclassmen... The roster consists of five freshmen, one redshirt freshman and two sophomores... Three juniors are complemented by two seniors in G Blair Shinoda and G Cortney French... Of the 10 "active" players, have are true freshmen.
AGGIES TURNING UP THE DEFENSIVE PRESSURE FROM LONG DISTANCE
• Opponents have made just 22.5 percent (20 for 89) of their three-point attempts over the past five games, including UC Riverside which was held to 13.3 percent (2 of 15)... Only Cal Poly (5 of 19) has made more than four treys during that span.
FREE THROW SHOOTING IS STILL AMONG NATION'S BEST
• The Aggies are shooting 74.2 percent from the line, ranking them third in the Big West and 37th in the country... Outside of an uncharacteristic 63.6 percent (7 for 11) against Cal State Fullerton last weekend, UC Davis had not made less than 12 free throws or shot below 70.8 percent over the previous seven games.
REBOUNDING HAS BEEN A CHALLENGE
• Admittedly, the Aggies' zone defense often leaves them vulnerable around the basket for rebounds since pressure is extended further out than most teams play... That pressure is reflected in rebounding totals where UC Davis ranks ninth in the Big West at 33.5 rpg... It's being outboarded by nearly 10 rpg., has only outrebounded four opponents this season and has been outboarded in each of its last nine games.