March 9, 2013
Pacific (23-6, 13-4) at UC Davis (12-16, 7-10)
Sat., Mar. 9 • 4:30 p.m.
The Pavilion (Davis, Calif.)
• UC Davis heads into Senior Night and the regular-season finale against Pacific having clinched a berth in next week’s Big West Tournament which starts at UC Irvine on Tuesday night... The Aggies are guaranteed no worse than the No. 7 seed and could move up a spot through tiebreakers.
• Sydnee Fipps is currently second in the Big West in scoring (17.2) after being named the Big West Player of the Week on Monday... She had nine three-pointers to help win the award for the first time in her career.
• UC Davis currently leads the Big West in steals (11.5 pg) and three-pointers per game (7.0 pg.).
• Fipps has scored in double figures in eight straight games... She’s averaging 17.4 ppg. in that span.
• The Aggies’ win last week at UC Irvine was their first of the season when scoring less than 50 points.
• Jennifer Gross is in her second season as head coach of the UC Davis women’s basketball team after leading the Aggies to their third consecutive postseason appearance in 2011-12... In her first year at the helm of the program, the Aggies saw several milestones including Kasey Riecks’ 1,000th career point, and Samantha Meggison and Hannah Stephens’ selections to the All-Big West Conference team.
• Lynne Roberts is in her seventh season with Tigers having won 92 games during her tenure so far... Last season, she led Pacific into the WNIT where it defeated Arizona State in the first round, marking the program’s first-ever postseason win... Prior to Pacific, Roberts coached four seasons at Chico State where she compiled an 86-31 overall record.
• Saturday’s game will be broadcast on KDVS 90.3 FM with Ben Taylor and Greg Cotta on the call.
• An internet simulcast will also be available on ucdavisaggies.com via Game Central by Stretch Internet.
• A free live video stream will be available for via bigwest.tv or ucdavisaggies.com.
• Live stats will also be available via www.ucdavisaggies.com.
• Fans can track the action, including in-game updates, photos, video clips and more via Twitter by following @UCDavisAggies.
• The Tigers bring a four-game winning streak into this weekend’s game, the last two coming on the road where they have a 10-4 overall record and a 6-2 mark in the Big West.
• Pacific currently leads the Big West in scoring (70.5), scoring margin (+10.4), three-point pct. defense (.263) and turnover margin (+2.86).
• Kendall Kenyon leads the league in rebounding (9.9) and field goal pct. (.572) while Erica McKenzie (2.6) is second in three-pointers/game.
• Four players - Kendall Rodriguez (12.3), Gena Johnson (11.6), Kenyon (11.3) and McKenzie (11.2) - are all scoring in double figures... Ashley Wakefield (9.3) is close behind.
• McKenzie (76) and Rodriguez (60) have combined for 136 treys this season.
• UC Davis leads the all-time series 12-10 but has lost the last two games, including a 59-51 matchup last year on Hamilton Court.
• Kendall Kenyon scored 19 points and Gena Johnson came off the bench to score 18, helping the Tigers beat the Aggies 78-64 in the teams’ earlier matchup in Stockton in January... Molly Greubel led UC Davis with 18 points while Sydnee Fipps added 13.
• The Aggies are 7-4 against Pacific at The Pavilion.
FIPPS HAS THE ROARING ‘20’s
• Sydnee Fipps scored 27 points against UC Riverside in late February, just two points off her career-high of 28 scored earlier against Long Beach State... It’s the seventh time this season she’s scored at least 22 points and gave her six straight games in double figures, a streak that now stands at eight games.
LETTING THEM FLY
• Cortney French is one of the most dangerous long-range shooters in the Big West, having canned 60 treys this season... She has 18 more than any other Aggie and has now made 171 for her career... French has made as many as six in game twice, most recently against UC Irvine on Feb. 2.
YOUTH DOMINATES ROSTER
• UC Davis has a roster made up predominantly of underclassmen... The roster consists of five freshmen, one redshirt freshman and two sophomores... Three juniors are complemented by two seniors in Blair Shinoda and Cortney French... Of the 10 “active” players, have are true freshmen.
FREE THROW SHOOTING IS STILL AMONG NATION’S BEST
• The Aggies are shooting 74.2 percent from the line, ranking them third in the Big West and 40th in the country... Outside of an uncharacteristic 63.6 percent (7 for 11) against Cal State Fullerton two weekends ago and a 6-for-6 performance at UC Irvine, UC Davis has not made less than 12 free throws or shot below 70.8 percent in seven of its previous eight games.
BIG WEST PLAYER OF THE WEEK ACCOLADES
• Sydnee Fipps was named the Big West Player of the Week on Monday after averaging 18.0 ppg. in the Aggies’ two games last weekend... She made a career-high five three-pointers at UC Irvine and scored 19 points and then made four more and finished with 17 points at Long Beach State two weeks later... She averaged 6.5 rpg.
• Cortney French earned the Big West Player of the Week honor on Nov. 26 after leading UC Davis to the Husky Classic Tournament championship... She scored a then career-high 23 points against Navy and then added 16 against Houston Baptist... She was named the tournament’s MVP.
COMEBACK DOWN THE STRETCH
• UC Davis scored a crucial road win at UC Irvine last week after trailing 43-34 with five minutes remaining... Sydnee Fipps started a 13-0 Aggie run over the remainder of the game, posting a 47-43 come-from-behind win.
WARMING UP FROM BEYOND THE ARC
• UC Davis canned 11 three-pointers at UC Irvine and then 10 at Long Beach State, marking the first time this season the Aggies have posted double-digit trey in consecutive games... It wasn’t, however, their best two-game showing... That came when they had nine against Santa Clara on Dec. 16 followed by 14 at USC five days later.
TEAMWORK LEADING TO BUCKETS
• A total of 78.7 percent of the Aggies’ baskets over the previous three games have had an assist attached for them... Broken down: Cal State Fullerton (12 of 16), UC Irvine (14 of 15) and Long Beach State (11 of 16)... For the season, 60.5 percent of UC Davis’ field goals have been assisted.
• The Aggies are 10th in the Big West in rebounding margin (-8.5) by more than 5.0 rpg... They did outrebound UC Irvine last week, 39-32, breaking a string of nine straight games of being outrebounded... The 32 boards allowed were the fewest for an opponent since Cal State Fullerton (30) earlier this season.
DEFENDING THE THREE
• UC Davis is holding opponents to just 20.6 percent (20 of 97) from beyond the arc over the last five games... Overall, the Aggies are seventh in the Big West in three-point defense (.305).
COMING UP NEXT
• UC Davis heads to the Big West Tournament at UC Irvine where it will open play on Tuesday evening... A victory would send them into the quarterfinal round on Wednesday... The semifinals and championship will be at the Honda Center next Friday and Saturday.
The Last Meeting
January 5, 2013
Greubel Leads Aggie Comeback Bid at Pacific
Molly Greubel scored a career-high 18 points to lead three Aggies in double figures, but the UC Davis women's basketball team fell to Pacific 78-64 in the Big West Conference opener for both teams on Saturday in Stockton. UC Davis moves to 5-7 overall and 0-1 in the Big West.