Field Hockey Wins Opener In Overtime

Aug. 31, 2009

Photo Gallery
Final Stats

DAVIS, Calif. - The much-anticipated UC Davis field hockey season began Monday at Aggie Stadium, and the newest Aggies did not disappoint. Marissa Hughes scored a goal midway through the first overtime period to give UC Davis a 3-2 victory in the first intercollegiate field hockey game for the Aggies in 27 years.

UC Davis never trailed and scored its first goal 18 minutes into the first half when Liz Siemion connected on a pass from Hughes, who controlled the ball for nearly the length of the field.

Less than three minutes later, the Bears tied the game on a goal by Kristina O'Connor to make it 1-1. The game would remain tied for the remainder of the half.

Neither team scored past the midway point of the second half before the Aggies broke the drought with just under 12 minutes left in regulation. Rachel Sabes scored her first Aggie goal on an assist by Charli Hutton to make it 2-1.

It took Missouri State six minutes to once again tie the game. With 5:50 left in regulation, Stephanie Chase scored to make it 2-2.

The winning goal came in the seventh minute of overtime. The sequence started on a penalty corner and ended when Hughes deflected a pass from Lindsey Valadez, giving the Aggies the dramatic 3-2 victory.

"It definitely gives us confidence going into our East coast trip," said head coach Vianney Campos. "It's always good to start the season off with a win and hopefully set the tempo for what 2009 is going to look like."



For the game, UC Davis outshot Missouri State 20-13. The Aggies also had 11 penalty corners compared to three for the Bears.

Lauren Sawvelle picked up the win for UC Davis in goal. She finished with four saves.

The contest marked the first for UC Davis since it announced it was bringing back intercollegiate field hockey. The last time such a team competed at UC Davis was 1982.

UC Davis is next in action Friday when it begins a six-game road trip at Saint Francis in Loretto, Pa.