Dartmouth Survives Aggies' Second-Half Surge

Jamie Garcia scored her first goal of the season Sunday against Dartmouth.

Sep 8, 2013

Box Score

BERKELEY, Calif. – Goals scored by redshirt freshman forward Danielle Koehne and sophomore midfielder Jamie Garcia late in the second half brought UC Davis within one goal of Dartmouth in Sunday’s neutral-site game from Maxwell Family Field in Berkeley, Calif., but the Big Green held onto its slim lead for the final 2:17 to defeat the Aggies, 4-3. 

UC Davis will enter its upcoming six-game road trip with a 1-2 record, Dartmouth evened its mark to 1-1 with the result.

Dartmouth’s Ali Savage scored the first of her three goals with less than five minutes remaining in the first half to help her team enter halftime with a 1-0 advantage.

When play resumed, Savage struck again less that 10 minutes into the second half to double Dartmouth’s lead. 

After playing a first half that featured only one goal, both teams combined to score three within a seven-minute timespan in the opening minutes of the second.

UC Davis wasted no time in attacking Dartmouth’s net shortly after the Big Green scored its second goal; after the Aggies covered nearly half the field with two perfectly placed passes, sophomore midfielder Hannah Drawbridge found her teammate, freshman forward Kayla Wigney, standing in an open patch of turf and quickly pushed the ball in her direction.

Once Wigney received Drawbridge’s pass, she quickly turned and fired a shot on goal, beating Dartmouth goalkeeper Ellen Meyer to her left to put the Aggies on the scoreboard.

Forty-seven seconds after Dartmouth took a two-goal lead, UC Davis chopped it back to its original margin.



Savage helped Dartmouth strike back at UC Davis five minutes later by setting up teammate Jessica Barfield on her first goal of the year, then by completing her hat trick 10 minutes later to help the Big Green hold a 4-1 lead with just over seven minutes left in the contest.

From that point on, UC Davis dominated the game and nearly forced its first overtime period of the season with the chain of events that took place.

On a scoring opportunity that originally started with a shot from Garcia, Koehne was able to corral the rebound and fire another shot at Meyer mere moments later. 

Able to make the save on Koehne’s initial attempt, Meyer had no chance on Koehne’s second swing from point-blank range as the Aggies’ leading scorer was able to one-time her own rebound over a now-prone Dartmouth goalkeeper to decrease Dartmouth’s lead to a more manageable two-goal margin with more than three minutes still remaining.

Eighty seconds later, on the last of UC Davis’ four penalty corners earned throughout the game, Garcia took senior forward Cloey LemMon’s inbound pass and blasted a shot past Meyer to chop a once-sizeable lead down to a solitary goal with 2:17 left. 

Responsible for nearly one-fourth of her team’s total earned against the Big Green, Garcia’s goal was scored on her fifth shot of the day.

UC Davis finished with 19 shots, 14 of which were on goal compared to Dartmouth that ended its day with half of its 16 shots on goal.  

A Dartmouth turnover in the final minute gave the Aggies one final chance to record the equalizer; unfortunately for UC Davis, Dartmouth was able to withstand that final Aggie attack to escape Berkeley with its first win of the year. 

Both Aggie losses suffered throughout its homestand in Berkeley were by one goal. 

UC Davis will begin its six-game road swing Friday in a 10 a.m. neutral-site game from Ann Arbor, Mich., against Louisville.