March 27, 2010
Betsy Rawls Longhorn Invitational complete results and live scoring.
SAN DIEGO, Calif. -- Radcliffe edged UC Davis by just .07 of a second on Saturday morning during a preliminary heat of the Jessop-Whittier Cup varsity eight invitational, claiming the final spot in the grand final at the San Diego Crew Classic.
Three teams - Grand Valley State, Radcliffe and UC Davis - were close at the finish line of the 2,000-meter course with only two spots in the grand final available after USC won the race by 15 seconds.
Barely a half-second separated the three squads with Grand Valley State crossing first in 6 minutes, 59.04 seconds, the Radcliffe Black and White timed in 6:59.45 and the Aggies next in 6:59.52. Radcliffe is part of a Harvard program ranked 14th nationally.
UC Davis will race on Sunday morning in the petite final, going head-to-head in a dual against Villanova beginning at 8:50 a.m.
"We have made a lot of improvement over last year's results in the same event," said Aggie coach Carissa Adams. "We were racing neck-and-neck with nationally ranked Radcliffe. This was a great day for UC Davis rowing and demonstrates that our program continues to make positive steps towards competitive excellence."
The Aggies, for the first time in program history, entered three boats in the highly acclaimed regatta which features some of the top crews from across the country. The varsity eight invitational - with the prestigious Jessop-Whitter Cup at stake - features several programs ranked nationally.
UC Davis' second varsity eight will also race in a petite final on Sunday after finishing fourth in its preliminary heat in 7:30.47. Virginia's B boat won the race in 6:56.41 with USC earning the other grand final spot, and Sacramento State taking third.
The Aggies will race at 8:10 a.m. against SMU, Tulsa, Sacramento State, San Diego and San Diego State.
Washington State won UC Davis' preliminary heat in the novice eight class with the Cougars winning in 7:33.90. The Aggies placed fifth in 8:03.33, crossing in front of Cal's lightweights crew which was well back in sixth in 8:45.34.
The San Diego Crew Classic has more than 3,000 athletes competing in nearly 100 races.
SAN DIEGO CREW CLASSIC
Mission Bay Park (San Diego, Calif.)
UC Davis results only
Varsity 8 (Whittier Cup, Ht. 2)
- 1. USC, 6:44.23; 2. Grand Valley St., 6:59.04; Radcliffe, 6:59.45; 4. UC Davis, 6:59.52.
- Lia D'Angelo (coxswain), 8. Brittani DeRiemer, 7. Danielle Long, 6. Autumn Huey, 5. Darcy Ward, 4. Paige Kendall, 3. Christine Bernatz, 2. Becca Lindquist, 1. Emily Roberts.
Second Varsity Eight (Hungness Trophy, Ht. 1)
- 1. Virginia B, 6:56.41; 2. USC, 6:56.72; 3. Sacramento State, 7:15.94; 4. UC Davis, 7:30.47; 5. Kansas State, 7:36.97.
- Valentina Ferrari (coxswain), 8. Haleigh King, 7. Hannah Owens, 6. Maggie Burke, 5. Tara Trakin, 4. Elieke Demmer, 3. Brittney O'Brien, 2. Brooke O'Brien, 1. Lily Dickson.
Novice Eight (Korholz Trophy, Ht. 2)
- 1. Washington State, 7:33.90; 2. Oklahoma, 7:48.68; 3. San Diego, 7:50.93; 4. Kansas State, 7:54.41; 5. UC Davis, 8:03.33; 6. Cal LW, 8:45.34.
- Valentina Ferrari (coxswain), 8. Haleigh King, 7. Hannah Owens, 6. Maggie Burke, 5. Tara Trakin,, 4. Elieke Demmer, 3. Brittney O'Brien, 2. Brooke O'Brien, and 1. Lily Dickson.