March 13, 2012
Judi Garman Classic Tournament Central
UC DAVIS SOFTBALL WEEKLY RELEASE
Judi Garman Classic - Thursday, Mar. 15 - Friday, Mar. 16
Fullerton, Calif. (Titan Softball Complex)
- UC Davis went 3-2 at the Aggie Stampede II last weekend, as the Aggies hosted their second home tournament of the season.
- Justine Vela was 3-1 on the weekend, including two shutouts and a no-hitter. Her complete game no-hitter came against Idaho State in a 5-0 victory.
- Vela was named Big West Pitcher of the Week for her efforts last week, after tallying a total of 34 strikeouts with a 1.18 ERA.
- Kelly Harman broke free at the plate last week, recording a .556 average over six games and a .929 slugging percentage after two home runs in the Aggie Stampede II. Harman also had a game-winning hit, using a RBI single in the bottom of the seventh against Idaho State to give UC Davis a 3-2 victory.
- The Aggies now face one of the toughest tournament fields of the season, traveling to play four games this weekend at the Judi Garman Classic, hosted by Cal State Fullerton. UC Davis will face No. 3 Washington for the second time this season and No. 13 Arizona. The Aggies also take on Virginia (receiving votes in both polls) and BYU.
- UC Davis was scheduled to play a midweek home game against Colorado State on Tuesday but a rainout forced a cancelation of the contest.
OPPONENT SCOUTING REPORT
Virginia: The Cavaliers enter the weekend with 16-5 overall record and are receiving votes in both major top 25 polls. Virginia started ACC competition last weekend, taking a three-game sweep at Georgia Tech. The Cavaliers had a nine-game win streak earlier in the season, including five victories at their home tournament. Marcy Bowdren leads Virginia at the plate with a .313 batting average and a .672 slugging percentage in addition to a team-best 19 RBIs. Melanie Mitchell has seen the most time in the circle, recording a 10-3 record with a 1.35 ERA.
UC Davis/Virginia all-time series: First Meeting
Washington: The Huskies enter the matchup against the Aggies with a 23-1 overall record and are ranked No. 3 in the nation in both major polls. Washington is riding a 10-game win streak after their only loss of the season against Missouri at the Cathedral City Classic. UC Davis met the Huskies earlier in the season, dropping an 11-3 contest at the Campbell Cartier Classic. Chandler Wagner had a two-RBI hit in the first meeting of the season. Kimi Pohlman leads Washington with 27 hits on the season for a .466 batting average along with 10 stolen bases. The Huskies have a 1.78 team ERA, led by Kaitlin Inglesby, who has a 12-0 record and a 1.28 ERA.
UC Davis/Washington State all-time series: Washington leads 2-0
Arizona: The Wildcats enter the weekend with a 16-4 overall record and a No. 13 national ranking in both major polls. Arizona is riding a seven-game win streak after a three-game sweep over the College of Charleston last weekend. The Wildcats also recently took five out of six wins at the Cathedral City Classic. Arizona has a team batting average of .327, led by Brigette Del Ponte who is hitting .455 and slugging .855 after seven doubles and five home runs. Kenize Fowler has a team-best 7-0 record in the circle, including six shutouts and a 1.55 ERA.
UC Davis/Arizona all-time series: First Meeting
Brigham Young: The Cougars enter the weekend with a 13-7 overall record, having won their last four contests. BYU recently downed a pair of Big West member schools at the San Diego Classic, defeating Cal State Northridge (4-1) and Long Beach State (2-1). The Cougars have also taken wins over UC Santa Barbara and Pacific earlier in the season. The Aggies are the last Big West member school to face BYU this season. Delaney Willard has an impressive .500 batting average for the Cougars, in addition to a .966 slugging percentage with seven home runs. Hannah Howell has seen the most time in the circle, recording a 6-4 record and a 3.35 ERA.
UC Davis/BYU all-time series: Series tied at 1-1
Wild finish caps
walk-off comeback win
UC Davis ends 2017 season at home vs. CSUN
Softball to honor its six seniors on Saturday
Brianna Warner named Big West Player of the Week
Softball wins weekend series in Santa Barbara
Four-run fourth leads to blowout victory at UCSB
Four teams earn
NCAA Public Recognition Awards
Final road trip takes Aggies to
UC Santa Barbara