March 20, 2012
UC DAVIS SOFTBALL WEEKLY RELEASE
Cal State Bakersfield - Sunday, Mar. 25, 2 p.m.
Davis, Calif. (La Rue Field)
- UC Davis went 1-3 at the Judi Garman Classic last weekend, taking an impressive win over Virginia with an 11-5 victory.
- The Cavaliers entered the weekend receiving votes in both major top 25 polls before facing the Aggies.
- UC Davis set season highs in several offensive categories against Virginia, including hits (14), runs (11), RBIs (11), home runs (4) and extra base hits (5).
- The Aggies had home a grand slam from Kelly Zboralske, two-run home runs from Kelly Schulze and Amy Nunez and a solo shot for Heather Zimmerman.
- Heather Zimmerman had a team-best .429 batting average at the Judi Garman Classic to go along with two RBIs and two runs scored.
- UC Davis has performed better at home this season, recording a 5-7 mark at La Rue Field.
- The Aggies will now face Cal State Bakersfield in the only game of the week. The matchup against the Roadrunners is the final nonconference game before UC Davis starts into conference competition. The Aggies have one other break from league play this season, traveling to play Stanford on Apr. 25.
- UC Davis has played eight ranked opponents on the season, posting a 1-7 record against the top 25 after a win over No. 8 Stanford earlier in the season.
OPPONENT SCOUTING REPORT
The Roadrunners enter Sunday’s contest with a 6-19 overall record after a pair of recent losses to No. 3 Washington. Cal State Bakersfield is on a seven-game losing streak, dating back to March 10 at the Northridge Classic. The Roadrunners picked up a win over Big West member Cal State Fullerton on Feb. 17 in an 8-7 victory at home. CSUB will also play doubleheaders against Pacific and UC Riverside later in the season before getting started in PCSC action. Laura King leads the Roadrunners at the plate with a .381 average in addition to a .440 slugging percentage. Sarah Hoag has seen the most time in the circle, recording a 3-12 record and a 6.17 ERA.
UC Davis/Cal State Bakersfield all-time series: Series tied at 33-33-1
The Aggies have dropped some close matchups this season to arrive at 20 losses, with multiple tight games slipping through the cracks. UC Davis has lost seven games to ranked opponents. Out of the remaining 13 games, the Aggies have lost 11 games by three runs or less. There have been six games decided by one run and five two-run losses on the season.
BIG WEST UPDATE
UC Davis is primed to make a run during the Big West schedule, with just one league opponent holding a winning record in the nonconference slate (Pacific). Entering the week, only one other team has played more nonconference games than the Aggies (UC Santa Barbara - 31). UC Davis also holds a similar record against ranked opponents compared to the rest of the league, as the Big West has posted a combined 6-38 record against top 25 teams. The Aggies currently sit in seventh place, in terms of nonconference win percentage.
UC Davis ends 2017 season at home vs. CSUN
Softball to honor its six seniors on Saturday
Brianna Warner named Big West Player of the Week
Softball wins weekend series in Santa Barbara
Four-run fourth leads to blowout victory at UCSB
Four teams earn
NCAA Public Recognition Awards
Final road trip takes Aggies to
UC Santa Barbara