April 18, 2012
UC DAVIS SOFTBALL WEEKLY RELEASE
Cal Poly - Saturday, Apr. 21, 12 p.m. (DH) • Sunday, Apr. 22, 12 p.m.
San Luis Obispo, Calif. (Bob Janssen Field)
- UC Davis won the final game of a three-game series last weekend against Long Beach State, taking a 3-1 victory to avoid a sweep.
- The Aggie pitching staff had another impressive performance, with Justine Vela and Jessica Thweatt combining to allow seven hits and no earned runs.
- Vela earned the win to improve to 12-10 on the season after 5.0 innings pitched and Thweatt picked up her first save of the season.
- Amy Nunez had a solo home run in game three while JJ Wagoner and Kelly Schulze added RBI hits.
- Wagoner led the Aggies at the plate last weekend, hitting .571 with four singles over three games.
- UC Davis is tied for second place in the Big West Conference with a 6-3 league mark.
- The Aggies return to the road this weekend, traveling to Cal Poly for a three-game series, starting with a doubleheader on Apr. 21 at 12 p.m.
OPPONENT SCOUTING REPORT
Cal Poly: The Mustanges are fresh off a series win over Cal State Northridge after winning the final two games last weekend. In the first two Big West series, Cal Poly dropped two out of three against Cal State Fullerton and the Mustangs were swept at Long Beach State. Cal Poly currently sits in a tie for sixth place in the league standings with a 3-6 record. The Mustangs struggled with a competitive nonconference schedule, losing 10 straight games before a win over Cal State Fullerton in the first Big West series. Kim Westlund leads the Mustangs at the plate with a .351 batting average and 21 RBIs on the season. Chloe Wurst has seen the most time in the circle, recording a 3-12 record and a 5.19 ERA.
UC Davis/Cal Poly all-time series: Cal Poly leads 22-19.
WAGONER HIT STREAK
JJ Wagoner has strung together a seven-game hit streak, starting with the final game of the UC Riverside series. In each of the last two series she has registered a hit in every game, helping the Aggies jump out to a 6-3 conference start. Wagoner leads UC Davis at the plate in Big West games, hitting .381 to go along with a .476 slugging percentage and two RBIs.
BIG WEST UPDATE
The Aggies currently sit in a tie for second place with a 6-3 league mark, after dropping two out of three games to Long Beach State last weekend. UC Davis started with a 5-1 mark in conference games, the best start for the program since reclassifying to Division I and joining the Big West.
Softball ends season with close games against CSUN
Wild finish caps
walk-off comeback win
UC Davis ends 2017 season at home vs. CSUN
Softball to honor its six seniors on Saturday
Brianna Warner named Big West Player of the Week
Softball wins weekend series in Santa Barbara
Four-run fourth leads to blowout victory at UCSB
Four teams earn
NCAA Public Recognition Awards