April 24, 2012
UC DAVIS SOFTBALL WEEKLY RELEASE
Stanford - Wednesday, Apr. 24, 6 p.m.
Stanford, Calif. (Boyd and Jill Smith Family Stadium)
UC Santa Barbara - Saturday, Apr. 28, 12 p.m. (DH) • Sunday, Apr. 29, 12 p.m.
Davis, Calif. (La Rue Field)
- UC Davis took its third Big West series victory last weekend at Cal Poly after a pair of complete game shutouts by Justine Vela.
- Vela allowed just five combined hits in two starts while striking out 19 batters. She improved to 7-1 in conference games with a 0.40 ERA. Vela earned her third Big West Pitcher of the Week honor for her efforts.
- Chandler Wagner led the Aggies at the plate in the Cal Poly series, hitting .444 after four hits and one run scored. Heather Zimmerman added a two-run home run in a game three victory.
- UC Davis plays its final nonconference game of the season this week at No. 19/21 Stanford. The Aggies topped Stanford earlier in the season in a 2-1 victory at home on Feb. 15.
- UC Davis is back on top of the conference standings, sitting in a four-way tie for first place with an 8-4 mark in league games.
- The Aggies host UC Santa Barbara in a three-game series at home this weekend, celebrating senior day on Sunday before hosting the annual alumnae game.
OPPONENT SCOUTING REPORT
Stanford: The Cardinal enter Wednesday’s contest with a 32-16 overall record and a 6-12 mark in Pac-12 play. Stanford is ranked No. 19 in the NFCA top 25 poll and No. 21 in the ESPN/USA Today poll. The Cardinal have dropped four straight following a loss at San Jose State and a series sweep at Arizona State. Earlier in the season UC Davis upset Stanford, who was ranked No. 8 at the time, taking a 2-1 victory at home behind Jessica Thweatt’s complete game five-hitter.
UC Davis/Stanford all-time series: Stanford leads 15-10.
UC Santa Barbara: The Gauchos are one of four teams tied for first place in the Big West standings, entering the weekend with a 23-26 overall record and an 8-4 mark in conference games. UCSB took a series win at home over Pacific last weekend, posting 2-1 and 11-2 victories in games one and three, respectively. The Gauchos have won seven of their last eight, adding a sweep at UC Riverside and a pair of wins over Cal State Bakersfield. Freshman Shelby Wisdom has seen the most time in the circle, recording an 18-13 overall record after appearing in 41 out of 49 games.
UC Davis/UC Santa Barbara all-time series: UC Santa Barbara leads 21-5.
BIG WEST UPDATE
The Aggies reclaimed a share of first place in the Big West standings, improving to 8-4 on the season. With just over half of the conference schedule completed, UC Davis has already put together more league victories than last season. When the Aggies won a share of the Big West title in 2010, they finished with a 15-6 mark in conference games.