April 24, 2012
UC DAVIS SOFTBALL WEEKLY RELEASE
Stanford - Wednesday, Apr. 24, 6 p.m.
Stanford, Calif. (Boyd and Jill Smith Family Stadium)
UC Santa Barbara - Saturday, Apr. 28, 12 p.m. (DH) • Sunday, Apr. 29, 12 p.m.
Davis, Calif. (La Rue Field)
- UC Davis took its third Big West series victory last weekend at Cal Poly after a pair of complete game shutouts by Justine Vela.
- Vela allowed just five combined hits in two starts while striking out 19 batters. She improved to 7-1 in conference games with a 0.40 ERA. Vela earned her third Big West Pitcher of the Week honor for her efforts.
- Chandler Wagner led the Aggies at the plate in the Cal Poly series, hitting .444 after four hits and one run scored. Heather Zimmerman added a two-run home run in a game three victory.
- UC Davis plays its final nonconference game of the season this week at No. 19/21 Stanford. The Aggies topped Stanford earlier in the season in a 2-1 victory at home on Feb. 15.
- UC Davis is back on top of the conference standings, sitting in a four-way tie for first place with an 8-4 mark in league games.
- The Aggies host UC Santa Barbara in a three-game series at home this weekend, celebrating senior day on Sunday before hosting the annual alumnae game.
OPPONENT SCOUTING REPORT
Stanford: The Cardinal enter Wednesday’s contest with a 32-16 overall record and a 6-12 mark in Pac-12 play. Stanford is ranked No. 19 in the NFCA top 25 poll and No. 21 in the ESPN/USA Today poll. The Cardinal have dropped four straight following a loss at San Jose State and a series sweep at Arizona State. Earlier in the season UC Davis upset Stanford, who was ranked No. 8 at the time, taking a 2-1 victory at home behind Jessica Thweatt’s complete game five-hitter.
UC Davis/Stanford all-time series: Stanford leads 15-10.
UC Santa Barbara: The Gauchos are one of four teams tied for first place in the Big West standings, entering the weekend with a 23-26 overall record and an 8-4 mark in conference games. UCSB took a series win at home over Pacific last weekend, posting 2-1 and 11-2 victories in games one and three, respectively. The Gauchos have won seven of their last eight, adding a sweep at UC Riverside and a pair of wins over Cal State Bakersfield. Freshman Shelby Wisdom has seen the most time in the circle, recording an 18-13 overall record after appearing in 41 out of 49 games.
UC Davis/UC Santa Barbara all-time series: UC Santa Barbara leads 21-5.
BIG WEST UPDATE
The Aggies reclaimed a share of first place in the Big West standings, improving to 8-4 on the season. With just over half of the conference schedule completed, UC Davis has already put together more league victories than last season. When the Aggies won a share of the Big West title in 2010, they finished with a 15-6 mark in conference games.
Brianna Warner named Big West Player of the Week
Softball wins weekend series in Santa Barbara
Four-run fourth leads to blowout victory at UCSB
Four teams earn
NCAA Public Recognition Awards
Final road trip takes Aggies to
UC Santa Barbara
Kibby's pitching, Jauregui's home run lifts Ags to 1-0 win
Aggies set new D-I record in Saturday's twinbill
Cadona frustrates No. 24 Cal
in I-80 clash