May 2, 2012
Weekly Release - Game 47-49
UC DAVIS SOFTBALL WEEKLY RELEASE
Pacific - Friday, May 4, 1 p.m. (DH) • Saturday, May 5, 10 a.m.
Stockton, Calif. (Bill Simoni Field)
- UC Davis added another Big West series victory last weekend, taking two games over UC Santa Barbara, who entered the weekend tied for first place with the Aggies.
- UC Davis had a doubleheader sweep in the first two contests against the Gauchos.
- Kelly Schulze had a pair of RBI doubles in game one and the game-winning hit in game two.
- Both starting pitchers for the Aggies turned in soled games, with Justine Vela recording both wins after 11 strikeouts in game one. Jessica Thweatt threw 8.0 innings in game two and had a career high 13 strikeouts.
- UC Davis also celebrated senior day in the home finale on Sunday, recognizing five seniors; Kylie Fan, Kelly Harman, Rachel Miller, Heather Zimmerman and Allison Smith.
- Vela continues to lead the Big West in nearly every pitching category during the conference season, including ERA (0.62), strikeouts (96), opposing batting avg. (.153) and wins (9).
- The Aggies are one game out of first place in the Big West race, behind Pacific and Long Beach State, who each swept in their respective matches last weekend.
- UC Davis will have a chance to gain some ground in the conference standings this weekend, traveling to face Pacific in a three-game series.
OPPONENT SCOUTING REPORT
Pacific: The Tigers enter the weekend with a 32-16 overall record on the season and a share of first place in the Big West conference after an 11-4 league mark. Pacific is also ranked No. 19 in the Mid-Major Top 25 poll. The Tigers swept their most recent series against Cal Poly after dropping two out of three at UC Santa Barbara. Pacific has swept three series in Big West play. Nikki Armagost leads the Tigers at the plate and in the circle this season. She is hitting a team-best .427 with a .631 slugging percentage, including 17 doubles, five home runs and 37 RBIs. Armagost has recorded an 11-6 overall record and a 2.25 ERA in 20 appearances. During conference play, Nicole Matson is hitting .472 and slugging .833 while Armagost holds a 1.66 ERA with a 4-2 mark in the circle.
UC Davis/Pacific all-time series: Pacific leads 16-9.
UC Davis nearly took a season sweep over Stanford last week in a nonconference matchup. The Aggies led the No. 19/21-ranked Cardinal 2-0 in the bottom of the fourth inning before the game was called due to rain. The contest did not reach the required number of innings to be considered a full game. As a result, the final nonconference game of the season for the Aggies will not be rescheduled and stats will not be reflected for either team. Justine Vela was working on a no-hitter through three and a third innings, allowing no hits, no walks and retiring five on strikes in that time. UC Davis seemingly had Stanford’s number this season, after upsetting the Cardinal back on Feb. 15 in a 2-1 win at home. Stanford was ranked No. 8 at the time of the first meeting.
BIG WEST UPDATE
The Big West race continues to stay close heading into the final two weekends of the season. Long Beach State and Pacific gained some distance with sweeps last week, as both squads are tied for first with an 11-4 mark. UC Davis had an impressive series win over UC Santa Barbara, who was formerly tied for first place. The Aggies will have a chance to knock off Pacific this weekend before facing Cal State Fullerton in the final series of the regular season.