Jan. 17, 2009
PORTLAND, Ore. - The UC Davis women's tennis team defeated Portland State, 5-2, Saturday in the season opener for both teams. The Aggies won the doubles point before claiming four more points in singles. The Aggies were also able to capitalize on a short-handed Vikings' squad, which fielded just five players.
The first casualty for PSU came at the No. 3 doubles slot where Sidney Brady and Jenna Kappel automatically claimed a win by default. In matches that did take place, Herzyl Legaspi and Dahra Zamudio posted an 8-2 victory over Anya Dalkin and Alyssa Ferry to clinch the doubles point. Randi Schuler and Desiree Stone were also victorious at No. 1.
The 1-0 lead was automatically doubled at the start of singles as the result of a win by default at No. 6. It didn't take long for the Aggies to make it 3-0 as Zamudio blanked Caitlin Stocking, 6-0, 6-0, at No. 3. The overall win was clinched when Jessica Harris defeated Kylea Gleason, 6-2, 6-1, at No. 5.
UC Davis picked up its final point at No. 2 as the result of a 6-4, 6-4 victory by Legaspi over Ferry. The Vikings claimed two points after the match was decided.
UC Davis closes out its road trip Sunday morning when it takes on Portland.
UC Davis 5, Portland State 2
1. Molly Knox (PSU) d. Desiree Stone (UCD), 6-2, 5-7, 1-0 (10-6).
2. Herzyl Legaspi (UCD) d. Alyssa Ferry (PSU), 6-4, 6-4.
3. Dahra Zamudio (UCD) d. Caitlin Stocking (PSU), 6-0, 6-0.
4. Anya Dalkin (PSU) d. Jenna Kappel (UCD), 1-6, 6-1, 1-0 (10-2).
5. Jessica Harris (UCD) d. Kylea Gleason (PSU), 6-2, 6-2.
6. Emma Shapiro (UCD) won by default.
1. Randi Schuler /Stone (UCD) d. Knox/Stocking (PSU), 8-7 (3).
2. Legaspi/Zamudio (UCD) d. Dalkin/Ferry (PSU), 8-2.
3. Sidney Brady /Kappel (UCD) won by default.
Pradeep thwarts Hawai’i’s shutout bid
Rain pushes dual at Hawai'i to Sunday
Aggies open Hawai'i road trip with third straight sweep
New first serve time for women's tennis match vs. UCSB
Women's tennis earns
second straight weekend sweep
Aggies host rare doubleheader this weekend
Aggies down Dons, 5-2,
sweep weekend duals