Jan. 18, 2013
TUCSON, Ariz. - The UC Davis women's tennis team swept through singles play and picked up a victory at No. 2 doubles to claim a 6-1 win over Northern Arizona in the Aggies' season-opening match on Friday at the LaNelle Robson Tennis Center in Tucson.
UC Davis is 1-0 on the season after claiming its first match of the year while Northern Arizona falls to 0-2.
"You find out early on what a team is made of and to lose that doubles point and come back to sweep the singles showed a lot of character," said head coach Bill Maze. "We are a really happy team right now and we'll carry this confidence over into tomorrow."
Northern Arizona claimed the doubles point with wins at the No. 1 and 3 positions, but UC Davis' duo of Ellie Edles and Tiffany Pham thwarted the Lumberjack's attempt at a sweep. Edles and Pham took Ghizelene Doballah and Nicole Perez to a tiebreaker before edging out the NAU pair 8-7 (7-3).
The Aggies then rally to dominate in singles as junior Megan Heneghan picked up the Aggies' first point with a 6-0, 6-3 straight-set win over Hannah Stone at the No. 1 position. Lauren Curry followed that with a straight-set win of her own, defeating Doballah 6-3, 6-1 at No. 2 singles.
Melissa Kobayakawa won the Aggies' third point at No. 6 singles, rallying from a first-set loss to Perez. After dropping the first set 2-6, the Aggie junior took a 6-1 and 6-0 decision in her final sets.
Pham claimed the deciding point for UC Davis in her collegiate debut, defeating NAU senior Alice Pacaut 6-2, 7-5 at the No. 5 spot to give the Aggies a 4-1 advantage.
Layla Sanders and Edles wrapped up the win at the three and four positions, respectively. Sanders edged out Johanna Vang 5-7, 6-1, 7-6 (5) while Edles likewise took home a three-set 7-6(4), 4-6, 6-3 win over Malia Wahinepio.
In an extra doubles match, Kobayakawa paired with Zoe Davidson to defeat Alice Walker and Jordan Denesik 8-4 while Davidson picked up a 6-2, 6-4 win over Denesik in an extra singles matchup.
UC Davis continues its season-opening weekend on Saturday, taking on No. 29 Arizona.
UC Davis vs. Northern Arizona
Jan. 18, 2013 at Tucson, Ariz.
(LaNelle Robson Tennis Center)
UC Davis 6, Northern Arizona 1
1. Hannah Stone/Johanna Vang (NAU) def. Megan Heneghan/Layla Sanders (UCD), 8-2
2. Ellie Edles/Tiffany Pham (UCD) def. Ghizelen Doballah/Nicole Perez (NAU), 8-7(3)
3. Malia Wahinepio/Alice Pacaut (NAU) def. Nicole Koehly/Lauren Curry (UCD), 8-1
4. Melissa Kobayakawa/Zoe Davidson (UCD) def. Alice Walker/Jordan Denesik (NAU), 8-4
Order of finish: (1,3,2)
1. Megan Heneghan (UCD) def. Hannah Stone (NAU), 6-0, 6-3
2. Lauren Curry (UCD) def. Ghizelene Doballah (NAU), 6-3, 6-1
3. Layla Sanders (UCD) def. Johanna Vang (NAU), 5-7, 6-1, 7-6(5)
4. Ellie Edles (UCD) def. Malia Wahinepio (NAU), 7-6(4), 4-6, 6-3
5. Tiffany Pham (UCD) def. Alice Pacaut (NAU), 6-2, 7-5
6. Melissa Kobayakawa (UCD) def. Nicole Perez (NAU), 2-6, 6-1, 6-0
7. Nicole Koehly (UCD) def. Alice Walker (NAU), 6-2, 6-0
8. Zoe Davidson (UCD) def. Jordan Denesik (NAU), 6-2, 6-4
Order of finish: (1,2,6,5,3,4)
Women's tennis heads into a two-match weekend
UC Davis falls to San Jose State
Aggies head to San Jose State for next dual match
Aggies shut out UC Irvine, 7-0
Women's tennis edges Cal State Fullerton
Women’s tennis hosts two conference matches
Breisacher named women's tennis
HERO of the Week