Jan. 18, 2013
TUCSON, Ariz. - The UC Davis women's tennis team swept through singles play and picked up a victory at No. 2 doubles to claim a 6-1 win over Northern Arizona in the Aggies' season-opening match on Friday at the LaNelle Robson Tennis Center in Tucson.
UC Davis is 1-0 on the season after claiming its first match of the year while Northern Arizona falls to 0-2.
"You find out early on what a team is made of and to lose that doubles point and come back to sweep the singles showed a lot of character," said head coach Bill Maze. "We are a really happy team right now and we'll carry this confidence over into tomorrow."
Northern Arizona claimed the doubles point with wins at the No. 1 and 3 positions, but UC Davis' duo of Ellie Edles and Tiffany Pham thwarted the Lumberjack's attempt at a sweep. Edles and Pham took Ghizelene Doballah and Nicole Perez to a tiebreaker before edging out the NAU pair 8-7 (7-3).
The Aggies then rally to dominate in singles as junior Megan Heneghan picked up the Aggies' first point with a 6-0, 6-3 straight-set win over Hannah Stone at the No. 1 position. Lauren Curry followed that with a straight-set win of her own, defeating Doballah 6-3, 6-1 at No. 2 singles.
Melissa Kobayakawa won the Aggies' third point at No. 6 singles, rallying from a first-set loss to Perez. After dropping the first set 2-6, the Aggie junior took a 6-1 and 6-0 decision in her final sets.
Pham claimed the deciding point for UC Davis in her collegiate debut, defeating NAU senior Alice Pacaut 6-2, 7-5 at the No. 5 spot to give the Aggies a 4-1 advantage.
Layla Sanders and Edles wrapped up the win at the three and four positions, respectively. Sanders edged out Johanna Vang 5-7, 6-1, 7-6 (5) while Edles likewise took home a three-set 7-6(4), 4-6, 6-3 win over Malia Wahinepio.
In an extra doubles match, Kobayakawa paired with Zoe Davidson to defeat Alice Walker and Jordan Denesik 8-4 while Davidson picked up a 6-2, 6-4 win over Denesik in an extra singles matchup.
UC Davis continues its season-opening weekend on Saturday, taking on No. 29 Arizona.
UC Davis vs. Northern Arizona
Jan. 18, 2013 at Tucson, Ariz.
(LaNelle Robson Tennis Center)
UC Davis 6, Northern Arizona 1
1. Hannah Stone/Johanna Vang (NAU) def. Megan Heneghan/Layla Sanders (UCD), 8-2
2. Ellie Edles/Tiffany Pham (UCD) def. Ghizelen Doballah/Nicole Perez (NAU), 8-7(3)
3. Malia Wahinepio/Alice Pacaut (NAU) def. Nicole Koehly/Lauren Curry (UCD), 8-1
4. Melissa Kobayakawa/Zoe Davidson (UCD) def. Alice Walker/Jordan Denesik (NAU), 8-4
Order of finish: (1,3,2)
1. Megan Heneghan (UCD) def. Hannah Stone (NAU), 6-0, 6-3
2. Lauren Curry (UCD) def. Ghizelene Doballah (NAU), 6-3, 6-1
3. Layla Sanders (UCD) def. Johanna Vang (NAU), 5-7, 6-1, 7-6(5)
4. Ellie Edles (UCD) def. Malia Wahinepio (NAU), 7-6(4), 4-6, 6-3
5. Tiffany Pham (UCD) def. Alice Pacaut (NAU), 6-2, 7-5
6. Melissa Kobayakawa (UCD) def. Nicole Perez (NAU), 2-6, 6-1, 6-0
7. Nicole Koehly (UCD) def. Alice Walker (NAU), 6-2, 6-0
8. Zoe Davidson (UCD) def. Jordan Denesik (NAU), 6-2, 6-4
Order of finish: (1,2,6,5,3,4)
Aggies open Hawai'i road trip with third straight sweep
New first serve time for women's tennis match vs. UCSB
Women's tennis earns
second straight weekend sweep
Aggies host rare doubleheader this weekend
Aggies down Dons, 5-2,
sweep weekend duals