Jan. 19, 2013
TUCSON, Ariz. - Melissa Kobayakawa claimed a 6-4, 6-2 win at No. 6 singles to highlight the UC Davis women's tennis team in a 6-1 loss to No. 29 Arizona at the LaNelle Robson Tennis Center in Tucson.
After a 6-1 victory over Northern Arizona on Friday, UC Davis moves to 1-1 on the season while Arizona improves to 2-0.
Kobayakawa topped Inge Hendrikx in straight sets at the No. 6 spot, picking up a 6-4 win in the first set before cruising to a 6-2 victory to claim UC Davis' lone point of the match.
At No. 5 singles, freshman Tiffany Pham continued her strong debut weekend, coming up just short against Wildcat junior Susan Mc Rann. Pham fell 6-3 in the first set, then was edged 6-4 in set two.
Heneghan came up short against Lacey Smith at No. 1 singles, falling 6-2, 6-2, while Lauren Curry dropped a 6-0, 6-1 decision to Stubbe at the No. 2 spot. Laura Oldham defeated Layla Sanders 6-0, 6-1 at No. 3 singles while Ellie Edles fell to Akilah James 6-0, 6-2.
UC Davis wraps up its season-opening weekend with its third match in as many days, facing Arizona State at 11 a.m. PT.
UC Davis at No. 29 Arizona
Jan. 19, 2013 at Tucson, Ariz.
(LaNelle Robson Tennis Center)
No. 29 Arizona 6, UC Davis 1
1. Kim Stubbe/Inge Hendrikx (ARIZ) def. Megan Heneghan/Layla Sanders (UCD), 8-6
2. Lacey Smyth/Shayne Austin (ARIZ) def. Ellie Edles/Tiffany Pham (UCD), 8-3
3. Akilah James/Susan Mc Rann (ARIZ) def. Lauren Curry/Nicole Koehly (UCD), 8-2
Order of Finish: (2, 3, 1)
1. Lacey Smyth (ARIZ) def. Megan Heneghan (UCD), 6-2, 6-2
2. Kim Stubbe (ARIZ) def. Lauren Curry (UCD), 6-0, 6-1
3. Lauren Oldham (ARIZ) def. Layla Sanders (UCD), 6-0, 6-1
4. Akilah James (ARIZ) def. Ellie Edles (UCD), 6-0, 6-2
5. Susan Mc Rann (ARIZ) def. Tiffany Pham (UCD), 6-3, 6-4
6. Melissa Kobayakawa (UCD) def. Inge Hendrikx (ARIZ), 6-4, 6-2
Order of Finish: (1, 4, 3, 2, 5, 6)