Jan. 20, 2013
TEMPE, Ariz. - Lauren Curry took 87th-ranked Desirae Krawczyk to a three-set tiebreaker match at No. 2 singles, but No. 37 Arizona State claimed a 7-0 victory as the UC Davis women's tennis team completed their season-opening weekend on Sunday at the Whiteman Tennis Center in Tempe.
UC Davis opened the season with three straight matches and faced two nationally-ranked opponents back-to-back after also taking on No. 29 Arizona on Saturday.
UC Davis is now 1-2 to start the season while Arizona State is 2-0.
Curry took on Sun Devil freshman Krawczyk who ranks 87th in Div. I at the No. 2 position. After dropping the first set 6-3, the Aggie senior came back in the second set and cruised to a 6-1 victory. The duo then battled in the third set with Krawczyk edging out Curry 7-6 (10-5).
Layla Sanders faced Stephanie Vlad at No. 3 singles, falling in the first set 6-3 before Vlad edged out Sanders in the second set 7-5.
The Aggies return to action on Jan. 31 and will remain on the road, facing No. 5 Stanford at the Taube Tennis Center at Stanford.
#37 Arizona State 7, UC Davis 0
Jan. 20, 2013
Whiteman Tennis Center - Tempe, Ariz.
1. Nicole Smith/Jacqueline Cako (ASU) def. Megan Heneghan/Layla Sanders (UCD) 8-3
2. Joanna Smith/Ebony Panoho (ASU) def. Ellie Edles/Tiff Pham (UCD) 8-2
3. Leighann Sahagun/Desirae Krawczyk (ASU) vs. Lauren Curry/Nicole Koehly (UCD) 7-3 DNF
1. Jacqueline Cako (ASU) def. Megan Heneghan (UCD) 6-2, 6-2
2. Desirae Krawczyk (ASU) def. Lauren Curry (UCD) 3-6, 6-1, 7-6 (10-5)
3. Stephanie Vlad (ASU) def. Layla Sanders (UCD) 6-3, 7-5
4. Leighann Sahagun (ASU) def. Ellie Edles (UCD) 6-2, 6-0
5. Ebony Panoho (ASU) def. Tiff Pham (UCD) 6-1, 6-0
6. Hannah James (ASU) def. Melissa Kobayakawa 6-2, 6-3
7. Joanna Smith (ASU) def. Nicole Koehly 6-2, 6-0
Five-match win streak joins Aggie road trip this week
Rain ends home dual vs. Montana State prematurely
Aggies extend streak to five with 6-1 win
Aggies record fourth shutout victory of the season
Women's tennis seeks homestand sweep this weekend
Massive comeback leads
to 4-3 victory