TEMPE, Ariz. - Even though Northern Arizona won the doubles point in Saturday’s season-opening non-conference match at the Whiteman Tennis Center, UC Davis responded by winning the first four singles matches to turn a 1-0 deficit into a 4-3, neutral-site triumph in Tempe.
The Aggies have now won the last four duals against the Lumberjacks, all in season openers. UC Davis’ other results took place in the first contest of the 2012, ’13 and ’15 seasons.
Women’s tennis will now enter Sunday’s road dual, at No. 22 Arizona State, with a 1-0 record while Northern Arizona falls to 0-1. First serve Sunday morning vs. the Sun Devils will take place at 10 a.m.
A live video stream of one court’s matches is available by clicking here. Once action on that court concludes, the video stream will switch to other matchups in progress.
Senior Samantha Martino and freshman Nikita Pradeep, one of three players competing in their inaugural spring event as an Aggie, started the day off strong by recording a 6-3 doubles victory over the Lumberjacks’ Eirene Granville and Brandy Walker.
That result set the stage for Pradeep’s individual sweep once action on Court No. 6 concluded later that afternoon. By topping Hailey Rochin, 7-5 and 6-2, she earned UC Davis’ second team point of the morning.
Pradeep’s victory followed Kristina Breisacher’s straight-set 6-4, 6-3 sweep, which pulled UC Davis even with NAU on the scoreboard and gave the freshman her first collegiate victory.
The string of Aggie singles victories continued on Court No. 5 when sophomore Isabella von Ebbe pulled away from Marta Lewandoska and collected a 6-2, 3-6, 6-2 win of her own, placing UC Davis one win away from starting the 2017 season on a positive note.
Shortly thereafter, that outcome became official thanks to sophomore Kristy Jorgensen’s hard-fought three-set triumph against top-seeded Hanneke Lodewiks. After falling in the first set, 6-3, Jorgensen won an 8-6 tiebreaker in the following set before breezing past her Lumberjack opponent, 6-3, in the final frame.
UC Davis 4, Northern Arizona 3
Jan. 21, 2017
Tempe, Ariz. (Whiteman Tennis Center)
1. Szavay, Blanka/Lodewijks, Hanneke (NAU) def. Jorgensen, Kristy/Bryant, Kelsie (UCD) 6-4
2. Lewandowska, Marta/Tomasetti, Chiara (NAU) def. von Ebbe, Isabella/Breisacher, Kristina (UCD) 6-3
3. Martino, Samantha/Pradeep, Nikita (UCD) def. Walker, Brandy/Granville, Eirene (NAU) 6-3
1. Jorgensen, Kristy (UCD) def. Lodewijks, Hanneke (NAU) 3-6, 7-6 (8-6), 6-3
2. Tomasetti, Chiara (NAU) def. Lee, Jessie (UCD) 6-3, 6-7 (1-7), 6-3
3. Szavay, Blanka (NAU) def. Green, Lani-Rae (UCD) 6-7 (4-7), 6-2, 7-5
4. Breisacher, Kristina (UCD) def. Walker, Brandy (NAU) 6-4, 6-3
5. von Ebbe, Isabella (UCD) def. Lewandowska, Marta (NAU) 6-2, 3-6, 6-2
6. Pradeep, Nikita (UCD) def. Rochin Hailey (NAU) 7-5, 6-2
Northern Arizona 0-1
UC Davis 1-0
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (4,6,5,1,2,3)
Victory sweep in white flight singles, two doubles duo advance to semifinals
Aggies head to Cal for the first fall tournament
Aggies fill their fall schedule with three tournaments
Tennis 'Pro-Am' fundraiser scheduled for September
ITA honors Jorgensen, von Ebbe, women’s tennis program
Aggies shine on Big West All-Academic Teams
Four teams earn
NCAA Public Recognition Awards