Jan. 24, 2009
TUCSON, Ariz. - The UC Davis women's tennis team suffered its first loss of the season when it was defeated by Arizona, 7-0, Saturday at the Robson Tennis Center in Tucson. The Wildcats opened play by claiming the doubles point before sweeping through singles. The loss drops UC Davis to 2-1 while Arizona won its season opener.
In doubles, the Wildcats claimed victories at No. 2 and No. 3 to clinch the point. With the point in hand, the remaining match at No. l featuring Randi Schuler and Desiree Stone was decided in a tiebreaker. The Aggie duo prevailed over Natasha Marks and Claire Rietsch, 6-5 (6), in what turned out to be the lone win of the day for UC Davis. All of the singles matches were decided in straight sets.
UC Davis concludes its Pac-10 road trip Sunday when it faces No. 21 Arizona State in Tempe.
Arizona 7, UC Davis 0
1. Danielle Steinberg (UA) d. Randi Schuler (UCD), 6-1, 6-0.
2. Ariane Masschelein (UA) d. Desiree Stone (UCD), 6-2, 6-3.
3. Natasha Marks (UA) d. Herzyl Legaspi (UCD), 6-1, 6-0.
4. Sarah Landsman (UA) d. Dahra Zamudio (UCD), 6-1, 6-0.
5. Claire Rietsch (UA) d. Jenna Kappel (UCD), 6-1, 6-2.
6. Debora Castany (UA) d. Jessica Harris (UCD), 6-1, 6-4.
1. Schuler/Stone (UCD) d. Marks/Rietsch (UA), 6-5 (6).
2. Landsman/Steinberg (UA) d. Legaspi/Zamudio (UCD), 8-2.
3. Castany/Marks (UA) d. Sideny Brady /Kappel (UCD), 9-7.
Aggies open Hawai'i road trip with third straight sweep
New first serve time for women's tennis match vs. UCSB
Women's tennis earns
second straight weekend sweep
Aggies host rare doubleheader this weekend
Aggies down Dons, 5-2,
sweep weekend duals