Jan. 24, 2009
TUCSON, Ariz. - The UC Davis women's tennis team suffered its first loss of the season when it was defeated by Arizona, 7-0, Saturday at the Robson Tennis Center in Tucson. The Wildcats opened play by claiming the doubles point before sweeping through singles. The loss drops UC Davis to 2-1 while Arizona won its season opener.
In doubles, the Wildcats claimed victories at No. 2 and No. 3 to clinch the point. With the point in hand, the remaining match at No. l featuring Randi Schuler and Desiree Stone was decided in a tiebreaker. The Aggie duo prevailed over Natasha Marks and Claire Rietsch, 6-5 (6), in what turned out to be the lone win of the day for UC Davis. All of the singles matches were decided in straight sets.
UC Davis concludes its Pac-10 road trip Sunday when it faces No. 21 Arizona State in Tempe.
Arizona 7, UC Davis 0
1. Danielle Steinberg (UA) d. Randi Schuler (UCD), 6-1, 6-0.
2. Ariane Masschelein (UA) d. Desiree Stone (UCD), 6-2, 6-3.
3. Natasha Marks (UA) d. Herzyl Legaspi (UCD), 6-1, 6-0.
4. Sarah Landsman (UA) d. Dahra Zamudio (UCD), 6-1, 6-0.
5. Claire Rietsch (UA) d. Jenna Kappel (UCD), 6-1, 6-2.
6. Debora Castany (UA) d. Jessica Harris (UCD), 6-1, 6-4.
1. Schuler/Stone (UCD) d. Marks/Rietsch (UA), 6-5 (6).
2. Landsman/Steinberg (UA) d. Legaspi/Zamudio (UCD), 8-2.
3. Castany/Marks (UA) d. Sideny Brady /Kappel (UCD), 9-7.