Jan. 24, 2009
TUCSON, Ariz. - The UC Davis women's tennis team suffered its first loss of the season when it was defeated by Arizona, 7-0, Saturday at the Robson Tennis Center in Tucson. The Wildcats opened play by claiming the doubles point before sweeping through singles. The loss drops UC Davis to 2-1 while Arizona won its season opener.
In doubles, the Wildcats claimed victories at No. 2 and No. 3 to clinch the point. With the point in hand, the remaining match at No. l featuring Randi Schuler and Desiree Stone was decided in a tiebreaker. The Aggie duo prevailed over Natasha Marks and Claire Rietsch, 6-5 (6), in what turned out to be the lone win of the day for UC Davis. All of the singles matches were decided in straight sets.
UC Davis concludes its Pac-10 road trip Sunday when it faces No. 21 Arizona State in Tempe.
Arizona 7, UC Davis 0
1. Danielle Steinberg (UA) d. Randi Schuler (UCD), 6-1, 6-0.
2. Ariane Masschelein (UA) d. Desiree Stone (UCD), 6-2, 6-3.
3. Natasha Marks (UA) d. Herzyl Legaspi (UCD), 6-1, 6-0.
4. Sarah Landsman (UA) d. Dahra Zamudio (UCD), 6-1, 6-0.
5. Claire Rietsch (UA) d. Jenna Kappel (UCD), 6-1, 6-2.
6. Debora Castany (UA) d. Jessica Harris (UCD), 6-1, 6-4.
1. Schuler/Stone (UCD) d. Marks/Rietsch (UA), 6-5 (6).
2. Landsman/Steinberg (UA) d. Legaspi/Zamudio (UCD), 8-2.
3. Castany/Marks (UA) d. Sideny Brady /Kappel (UCD), 9-7.
Women’s tennis concludes first fall tournament
Victory sweep in white flight singles, two doubles duo advance to semifinals
Aggies head to Cal for the first fall tournament
Aggies fill their fall schedule with three tournaments
Tennis 'Pro-Am' fundraiser scheduled for September
ITA honors Jorgensen, von Ebbe, women’s tennis program
Aggies shine on Big West All-Academic Teams
Four teams earn
NCAA Public Recognition Awards