Jan. 24, 2014
STANFORD, Calif. - Known for compiling a challenging schedule on a yearly basis, UC Davis head coach Bill Maze and his women's tennis team wasted no time in battling top-tier competition as the Aggies faced No. 1 Stanford, in their season opener, at Taube Family Tennis Stadium Friday afternoon. UC Davis fought valiantly, but still fell to the defending NCAA champion Stanford Cardinal by a 7-0 score.
The Aggies will enter Saturday's 10:30 a.m. match against the Pacific Tigers with a 0-1 record, Stanford opens its season with a 1-0 mark.
By allowing UC Davis to capture only three games combined during the doubles round, Stanford captured the first team point of the day to jump out to a 1-0 lead prior to singles competition.
Of the six singles matches that took place, five Aggies competed against nationally ranked competition.
Melissa Kobayakawa was the final Aggie to collect a game in her singles contest against No. 94 Ellen Tsay; as was the case with her teammates, she slipped in straight sets to No. 34 Caroline Doyle.
Also facing ranked opponents on the day were Tiffany Pham and Kamila Kecki. Pham squared-off against No. 34 Caroline Doyle, Kecki battled No. 41 Taylor Davidson in her debut singles match as an Aggie.
Samantha Martino also took the courts at the Taube Family Tennis Stadium for the first time in a UC Davis uniform and competed alongside Pham as the Aggies' No. 3 doubles team.
With Friday's result, Stanford collected its 900th victory in the program's history.
UC Davis will experience a brief turnaround as the team will continue its four-match road trip in Stockton, Calif., against former Big West Conference rival Pacific.
UC Davis at No. 1 Stanford
Jan. 24, 2014, at Stanford, Calif.
(Taube Family Tennis Stadium)
No. 1 Stanford 7, UC Davis 0
1. No. 15 Kristie Ahn/Carol Zhao (STAN) def. Layla Sanders/Nicole Koehly (UCD) 6-0
2. No. 16 Taylor Davidson/Ellen Tsay (STAN) def. Megan Heneghan/Melissa Kobayakawa (UCD) 6-1
3. Caroline Doyle/Krista Hardebeck (STAN) def. Tiffany Pham/Samantha Martino (UCD) 6-2
1. No. 6 Kristie Ahn (STAN) def. Megan Heneghan (UCD) 6-3, 6-0
2. Krista Hardebeck (STAN) def. Layla Sanders (UCD) 6-0, 6-1
3. No. 40 Carol Zhao (STAN) def. Nicole Koehly (UCD) 6-2, 6-1
4. No. 94 Ellen Tsay (STAN) def. Melissa Kobayakawa (UCD) 6-0, 6-1
5. No. 34 Caroline Doyle (STAN) def. Tiffany Pham (UCD) 6-0, 6-0
6. No. 41 Taylor Davidson (STAN) def. Kamila Kecki (UCD) 6-0, 6-0
UC Davis 0-1
Stanford 1-0; National ranking #1
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (6,2,3,4,5,1)
Women's tennis heads into a two-match weekend
UC Davis falls to San Jose State
Aggies head to San Jose State for next dual match
Aggies shut out UC Irvine, 7-0
Women's tennis edges Cal State Fullerton
Women’s tennis hosts two conference matches
Breisacher named women's tennis
HERO of the Week