Jan. 25, 2014
STOCKTON, Calif. - UC Davis captured the key doubles point with two wins on Saturday at Pacific and then clinched the team victory by splitting singles play as the Aggies downed the host Tigers, 4-3, in a nonconference women's tennis match.
The win came less than 24 hours after a season-opening matchup at No. 1 Stanford and evened the Aggies' early season record at 1-1. Pacific is 0-1 after dropping its opener.
It was UC Davis' fourth straight win over its former Big West rivals.
UC Davis dropped a matchup at No. 1 doubles but captured the other two to claim the crucial doubles point. Heneghan and Kobayakawa teamed up at No. 2 doubles for their first wins of the day, beating Gergana Boncheva and Iveta Masarova, 6-2. Pham was on the winning end of a doubles match at No. 3, teaming with Samantha Martino for a 6-4 victory over Christiana Ferrari and Cristina Saenz de Buruaga Ruiz.
Heneghan and Kobayakawa then had straight-set singles wins with Heneghan giving up just one game while beating Masarova, 6-1, 6-0, at No. 1. Kobayakawa was nearly as dominate at No. 4, sweeping past Boncheva, 6-2, 6-1.
Pham came up big at the right time, winning the match tiebreaker against Pacific's Francis Dean, 11-9. She won the first set, 6-3, before falling 4-6 in the second and forcing the extra play.
Nicole Koehly, who narrowly lost at No. 1 doubles with Layla Sanders, had a tough loss in singles as well. She won the first set against Ferrari, 6-3, but lost the second in a tiebreaker and then fell 10-7 in the match tiebreaker.
UC Davis returns to action next weekend, traveling to face San Diego State on Saturday and UC San Diego on Sunday.
WOMEN'S TENNIS: UC Davis 4, Pacific 3
Jan. 25 at Stockton, Calif.
1. Hana Ritterova/Regina Suarez (PAC) def. Layla Sanders/Nicole Koehly (UCD), 7-5
2. Megan Heneghan/Melissa Kobayakawa (UCD) def. Gergana Boncheva/Iveta Masarova, (PAC), 6-2
3. Tiffany Pham/Samantha Martino (UCD) def. Christiana Ferrari/Cristina Saenz de Buruaga Ruiz (PAC), 6-4
1. Heneghan (UCD) def. Masarova (PAC), 6-1, 6-0
2. Ritterova (PAC) def. Sanders (UCD), 6-4, 6-1
3. Ferrari (PAC) def. Koehly (UCD), 3-6, 7-6 (4), (7)
4. Kobayakawa (UCD) def. Gergana Boncheva, (PAC) 6-2, 6-1
5. Pham (UCD) def. Francis Dean(PAC), 6-3, 4-6, (9)
6. Saenz de Buruaga Ruiz (PAC) def. Kamila Kecki (UCD), 6-2, 6-1
UC Davis (1-1)