Jan. 25, 2014
STOCKTON, Calif. -
UC Davis captured the key doubles point with two wins on Saturday at Pacific and then clinched the team victory by splitting singles play as the Aggies downed the host Tigers, 4-3, in a nonconference women's tennis match.
The win came less than 24 hours after a season-opening matchup at No. 1 Stanford and evened the Aggies' early season record at 1-1. Pacific is 0-1 after dropping its opener.
It was UC Davis' fourth straight win over its former Big West rivals.
Megan Heneghan, Melissa Kobayakawa and Tiffany Pham each secured wins in both doubles and singles to help pace UC Davis.
UC Davis dropped a matchup at No. 1 doubles but captured the other two to claim the crucial doubles point. Heneghan and Kobayakawa teamed up at No. 2 doubles for their first wins of the day, beating Gergana Boncheva and Iveta Masarova, 6-2. Pham was on the winning end of a doubles match at No. 3, teaming with Samantha Martino for a 6-4 victory over Christiana Ferrari and Cristina Saenz de Buruaga Ruiz.
Heneghan and Kobayakawa then had straight-set singles wins with Heneghan giving up just one game while beating Masarova, 6-1, 6-0, at No. 1. Kobayakawa was nearly as dominate at No. 4, sweeping past Boncheva, 6-2, 6-1.
Pham came up big at the right time, winning the match tiebreaker against Pacific's Francis Dean, 11-9. She won the first set, 6-3, before falling 4-6 in the second and forcing the extra play.
Nicole Koehly, who narrowly lost at No. 1 doubles with Layla Sanders, had a tough loss in singles as well. She won the first set against Ferrari, 6-3, but lost the second in a tiebreaker and then fell 10-7 in the match tiebreaker.
UC Davis returns to action next weekend, traveling to face San Diego State on Saturday and UC San Diego on Sunday.
WOMEN'S TENNIS: UC Davis 4, Pacific 3
Jan. 25 at Stockton, Calif.
1. Hana Ritterova/Regina Suarez (PAC) def. Layla Sanders/Nicole Koehly (UCD), 7-5
2. Megan Heneghan/Melissa Kobayakawa (UCD) def. Gergana Boncheva/Iveta Masarova, (PAC), 6-2
3. Tiffany Pham/Samantha Martino (UCD) def. Christiana Ferrari/Cristina Saenz de Buruaga Ruiz (PAC), 6-4
1. Heneghan (UCD) def. Masarova (PAC), 6-1, 6-0
2. Ritterova (PAC) def. Sanders (UCD), 6-4, 6-1
3. Ferrari (PAC) def. Koehly (UCD), 3-6, 7-6 (4), (7)
4. Kobayakawa (UCD) def. Gergana Boncheva, (PAC) 6-2, 6-1
5. Pham (UCD) def. Francis Dean(PAC), 6-3, 4-6, (9)
6. Saenz de Buruaga Ruiz (PAC) def. Kamila Kecki (UCD), 6-2, 6-1
UC Davis (1-1)