SACRAMENTO, Calif. - With the overall score tied at 3-3, Kristina Breisacher lifted UC Davis to a 4-3 victory over Sacramento State in this season's road Causeway Cup clash, held at the Hornets' Campus Tennis Courts, by recording a 6-3, 6-1 victory in her singles matchup against Sofia Wicker.
With Saturday's win, Breisacher earned an individual sweep, UC Davis improved to 2-1 on the season, Sacramento State fell to 1-2 and the Aggies pulled themselves five points closer to the threshold needed to (at worst) earn a share of this year's Causeway title.
The Aggies have won the last four straight Cups against their cross-Causeway rivals.
Breisacher and her doubles partner, Lani-Rae Green, topped Carolina Chernyetsky-Andie Mouzes by a 6-3 to secure the first victory of an Aggie doubles sweep. Once Samantha Martino and Nikita Pradeep defeated Wicker and Sofia Gulnova, 6-3, and Kelsie Bryant-Kristy Jorgensen won their contest against Carolina Chernyetsky-Andie Mouzes, 6-4, UC Davis entered singles play leading the overall score, 1-0.
Pradeep's singles match was the first to finish, she doubled her team's advantage by shutting out Chernyetsky in straight sets to secure the second individual sweep out of her first three college duals. The freshman also won both matches played in her team's season opener vs. Northern Arizona.
Trailing 2-0, Sacramento State responded by winning the next three singles matchups, needed just one more result out of the two remaining contests in play to secure a victory.
Thanks to Jessie Lee and Breisacher, that never happened.
Lee powered her way past Mouzes in straight sets, 6-3 and 6-2, to set up a winner-take-all situation on Court No. 4. As was the case with Lee and Pradeep, Breisacher's clutch play allowed her to record a straight-set victory, securing another Aggie victory in the process.
UC Davis will experience a quick turnaround since it will host San Francisco in Sunday's home opener at the Marya Welch Tennis Center. First serve is set for noon.
UC Davis 4, Sacramento State 3
Jan. 28, 2017
Sacramento, Calif. (Campus Tennis Courts)
1. Bryant, Kelsie/Jorgensen, Kristy (UCD) def. LOAIZA ESQUIVIAS, A./VYRLAN, Karina (SAC) 6-4
2. Breisacher, Kristina/Green, Lani-Rae (UCD) def. CHERNYETSKY, C./MOUZES, Andie (SAC) 6-3
3. Martino, Samantha/Pradeep, Nikita (UCD) def. GULNOVA, Sofia/WICKER, Sofia (SAC) 6-3
1. LOAIZA ESQUIVIAS, A. (SAC) def. Jorgensen, Kristy (UCD) 6-4, 6-1
2. Lee, Jessie (UCD) def. MOUZES, Andie (SAC) 6-3, 6-2
3. VYRLAN, Karina (SAC) def. Green, Lani-Rae (UCD) 6-4, 6-2
4. Breisacher, Kristina (UCD) def. WICKER, Sofia (SAC) 6-3, 6-1
5. Pradeep, Nikita (UCD) def. CHERNYETSKY, C. (SAC) 6-0, 6-0
6. GULNOVA, Sofia (SAC) def. Martino, Samantha (UCD) 6-2, 6-1
UC Davis 2-1 Sacramento State 1-2
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (5,6,3,1,2,4)
Women's tennis heads into a two-match weekend
UC Davis falls to San Jose State
Aggies head to San Jose State for next dual match
Aggies shut out UC Irvine, 7-0
Women's tennis edges Cal State Fullerton
Women’s tennis hosts two conference matches
Breisacher named women's tennis
HERO of the Week