DAVIS, Calif. - UC Davis is off to a hot start, pushing its overall record to 3-1 after defeating San Francisco, 5-2, at the Marya Welch Tennis Center. Sunday’s home opener caps a successful weekend that started with a 4-3 victory in this season’s Causeway Cup dual.
Women’s tennis will continue its brief three-match homestand by hosting Stanislaus State (9:30 a.m.) and Sonoma State (2 p.m.) in a rare women’s tennis doubleheader on Feb. 5.
With its result, San Francisco falls to 0-2 this season.
Starting with a 6-1 doubles win from Kristina Breisacher-Isabella von Ebbe over Hanna Borjeson-Jocelyn Treyes Albarracin, the Aggies wasted no time earning the first team point of the afternoon. Samantha Martino and Nikita Pradeep faced the toughest test, but outlasted Anna Sokiran and Amber del Rosario, 6-4, to officially secure the doubles point for UC Davis. Shortly thereafter, Kristy Jorgensen and Kelsie Bryant completed their team’s sweep by topping Emily Maxfield and Genevieve McCloskey, 6-3.
Once singles competition started, UC Davis picked up where it left off, eventually routing the Dons by winning the first three matchups to collect its third victory of the season in its inaugural home dual of the year.
As is the case with her team, Pradeep completed a weekend sweep of her own by earning her second consecutive singles shutout; in today’s match, del Rosario was the unfortunate individual who fell to the Aggie freshman.
Even though she dropped four total games to Sokiran, Jorgensen breezed through her singles match by posting a 6-2, 6-2 sweep, finishing shortly after Pradeep ended her day.
The inevitable became official when Lani-Rae Green recorded a straight-set win of her own, which gave the Aggies their fourth team point and officially ended the dual. Green defeated McCloskey, 6-1, 6-2.
Isabella von Ebbe became the third, and final Aggie to win both matches played at the Marya Welch Tennis Center on Sunday by downing Borjeson, 6-4 and 6-4. Just like her teammates Pradeep and Jorgensen, von Ebbe finished with a 2-0 record for the day and collected her singles result in straight-set fashion.
UC Davis 5, San Francisco 2
Jan. 28, 2017
Davis, Calif. (Marya Welch Tennis Center)
1. Jorgensen, Kristy/Bryant, Kelsie (UCD) def. MAXFIELD, Emily/McCLOSKEY, Genevieve (USF) 6-3
2. Breisacher, Kristina/von Ebbe, Isabella (UCD) def. BORJESON, Hanna/TREYES ALBARRACIN, J (USF) 6-1
3. Martino, Samantha/Pradeep, Nikita (UCD) def. SOKIRAN, Anna/DEL ROSARIO, Amber (USF) 6-4
1. Jorgensen, Kristy (UCD) def. SOKIRAN, Anna (USF) 6-2, 6-2
2. MAXFIELD, Emily (USF) def. Lee, Jessie (UCD) 6-5, retired
3. Green, Lani-Rae (UCD) def. McCLOSKEY, Genevieve (USF) 6-1, 6-2
4. TREYES ALBARRACIN, J (USF) def. Breisacher, Kristina (UCD) 4-6, 6-4, 10-6
5. von Ebbe, Isabella (UCD) def. BORJESON, Hanna (USF) 6-4, 6-4
6. Pradeep, Nikita (UCD) def. DEL ROSARIO, Amber (USF) 6-0, 6-0
San Francisco 0-2
UC Davis 3-1
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (6,1,3,2,4,5)