Jan. 31, 2013
STANFORD, Calif. - For the second time this season, junior Melissa Kobayakawa picked up a win against a ranked team at No. 6 singles as the UC Davis women's tennis team dropped a 6-1 decision at No. 5 Stanford on Thursday at the Taube Family Tennis Stadium in Stanford.
UC Davis faced its third straight nationally-ranked opponent after opening the season at No. 29 Arizona and No. 37 Arizona State. The Aggies are now 1-3 on the season while Stanford is 1-0.
Kobayakawa faced Cardinal senior Natalie Dillon at the No. 6 position and rallied from a 6-4 loss in the first set to claim the next two. She edged out Dillon on a tiebreaker in set two, winning 7-6 (2) before claiming the third set 1-0 (8) for the win.
Heneghan then faced Gibbs, the reigning NCAA singles and doubles champion, at No. 1 singles, falling 6-3, 6-3.
Lauren Curry dropped her No. 2 singles match to Krista Hardebeck, the No. 2 ranked player in the nation, while Ahn defeated Layla Sanders at No. 3 singles. Ellie Edles took on No. 55 Ellen Tsay at the No. 4 position while freshman Tiffany Pham faced Cardinal senior Stacey Tan at No. 5 singles. Tan ranked 28th nationally at the end of last season.
UC Davis takes on Santa Clara in its home opener on Sunday at 11 a.m. at the Marya Welch Tennis Center.
No. 5 Stanford 6, UC Davis 1
1) Ahn/Gibbs (STAN) d. Heneghan/Sanders (UCD) 8-6
2) Tan/Tsay (STAN) d. Edles/Pham (UCD) 8-1
3) Dillon/Hardebeck (STAN) vs. Curry/Kobayakawa (UCD) abandoned
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3
1) Nicole Gibbs (STAN) d. Megan Heneghan (UCD) 6-3, 6-3
2) No. 2 Krista Hardebeck (STAN) d. Lauren Curry (UCD) 6-1, 6-0
3) Kristie Ahn (STAN) d. Layla Sanders (UCD) 6-1, 6-2
4) No. 55 Ellen Tsay (STAN) d. Ellie Edles (UCD) 6-0, 6-2
5) Stacey Tan (STAN) d. Tiffany Pham (UCD) 6-0, 6-0
6) Melissa Kobayakawa (UCD) d. Natalie Dillon (STAN) 4-6, 7-6 (2), 1-0 (8)
Order of Finish: 5, 3, 4, 2, 1, 6
Aggies open Hawai'i road trip with third straight sweep
New first serve time for women's tennis match vs. UCSB
Women's tennis earns
second straight weekend sweep
Aggies host rare doubleheader this weekend
Aggies down Dons, 5-2,
sweep weekend duals