Feb. 3, 2013
DAVIS, Calif. - Sophomore Layla Sanders posted a straight-set victory at No. 3 singles while freshman Tiffany Pham scored wins in both of her singles and doubles contests, but Santa Clara managed a 4-3 win to spoil UC Davis' home opener in collegiate women's tennis action at the Marya Welch Tennis Center Sunday.
The Aggies move to 1-4 on the year. The Broncos remain unbeaten in dual play at 2-0.
Both the deciding doubles point and singles matches came down to relatively dramatic fashion. Pham and partner Ellie Edles scored an 8-4 win over Maddie McGeorge and Kelly Lamble at No. 2 doubles, offsetting the SCU victory of Katie Le and Joss Agra over Sanders and Megan Heneghan on the No. 1 court.
Thus, the No. 3 doubles marathon between Aggies Lauren Curry and Melissa Kobayakawa and Broncos Stephanie Skaras and Delphine Rouvillois determined which team would earn the doubles point. Curry/Kobayakawa battled back to force a tiebreaker but the Santa Clara duo cruised to the eighth game of the pro set.
In singles action, Sanders opened with a 6-3, 6-2 win over Alex Zaniewski at No. 3 singles, then Edles secured a topsy-turvy victory over McGeorge at No. 4. She took the 6-2 first set, struggled to a 6-1 loss in the second, before regaining her stride with a 6-2 third. Pham later dispatched an attrited Jessica Agra for a 7-6 (4), 6-2 win at No. 6 singles, tying the overall team score at 3-3.
UC Davis' Megan Heneghan put up a strong battle with Le, ranked 26th nationally in the preseason ITA poll. She fought back from a 6-2 loss in the first set to even the match with a 6-4 victory in the second. Neither player broke serve in the third until the final game. Le hit a strong cross-court shot to Heneghan's forehand. The Aggie junior made a lunging effort for a line shot but her ball sailed wide, ending her chances for an upset over the reigning West Coast Conference Player of the Year.
UC Davis returns to action on Saturday at Oregon, marking the fourth time in five matches the Aggies have faced a Pac-12 Conference member.
SANTA CLARA 4, UC DAVIS 3
1. Katie Le/Joss Agra (SCU) def. Megan Heneghan/Layla Sanders (UC Davis), 8-2
2. Ellie Edles/Tiffany Pham (UC Davis) def. Massie McGeorge/Kelly Lamble (SCU), 8-4
3. Stephanie Skaras/Delphine Rouvillois (SCU) def. Lauren Curry/Melissa Kobayakawa (UC Davis), 8-7 (0).
4. Nicole Koehly/Zoe Davidson vs. Chelby Cooke/Nicolette Wolny (SCU), not available (exhibition).
Finish order: 1, 2, 3
1. Katie Le (SCU) def. Megan Heneghan (UC Davis), 6-2, 4-6, 6-4
2. Kelly Lamble (SCU) def. Lauren Curry (UC Davis), 6-2, 6-4
3. Layla Sanders (UC Davis) def. Alex Zaniewski (SCU), 6-3, 6-2
4. Ellie Edles (UC Davis) def. Maggie McGeorge (SCU), 6-2, 1-6, 6-2
5. Stephanie Skaras (SCU) def. Melissa Kobayakawa (UC Davis), 6-1, 7-6 (5)
6. Tiffany Pham (UC Davis) def. Jessica Agra (SCU), 7-6 (4), 6-2
7. Chelby Cooke (SCU) def. Nicole Koehly (UC Davis), 6-4, 6-4 (exhibition)
8. Delphine Rouvillois (SCU) def. Zoe Davidson (UC Davis), 6-4, 3-6, 1-0 (7) (exhibition)
9. Nicolette Wolny (SCU) def. Claire Jaramishian (UC Davis), 8-6 (exhibition)
Finish order: 3, 4, 2, 5, 6, 1.
Aggies head to San Jose State for next dual match
Aggies shut out UC Irvine, 7-0
Women's tennis edges Cal State Fullerton
Women’s tennis hosts two conference matches
Breisacher named women's tennis
HERO of the Week