Feb. 7, 2003
SAN FRANCISCO, Calif. - After dropping the opening doubles point, USF looked in danger of losing the match in singles play. But two furious rallies at the number two and number four spots powered the Lady Dons to a 5-2 victory against UC Davis in non-conference women's tennis action Friday at Golden Gate Park.
With the loss the Aggies fall to 0-2 on the season while San Francisco improves to 3-0.
UC Davis jumped out early as Janice Salomon and Nancy Mok earned an 8-6 victory over Anna Skogerboe and Gabi Ruiz at No.1 doubles. Gretchen Schantz and Ally Muller followed that with a hard-fought, 9-7 victory over Savage/Bernhoff at No.2, clinching the doubles point for the Aggies.
In singles play, the Lady dons captured victories at No.1, No.3 and No.5, all in straight sets to jumped back on top. Aggie sophomore Christy Battig got one point back for UC Davis with a 6-2, 7-6 win over Jill Radar at No.6 singles.
The two remaining matches, at No.2 and No.4, were in the third set after the Aggies captured the first set in both contests. At No.2, Muller dropped a close, 3-6, 7-5, 6-3 decision to Skogerboe while USF's Stephanie Chang rallied for a 1-6, 7-6, 6-3 win over Jennifer fong at No.4.
"I knew USF was good. We haven't played them in five years and they have improved drastically," said Aggie Head Coach Bill Maze. "They have a lot of good competitors and so do we, that's what made this such a good match.
"We had a good shot in singles as there were a lot of tight matches. Our kids showed a lot of heart. You have to give Christy (Battig) a lot of credit. She wasn't expecting to play and she stepped up and got our only singles win."
The Aggies return to the courts on Saturday when they face UC Santa Cruz in Santa Cruz. Matchtime is set for noon.
USF 5, UC Davis 2
at Golden Gate Park, San Francisco
1. Salomon/Mok (UCD) def. Ruiz/Skogerboe (USF), 8-6
2. Schantz/Muller (UCD) def. Savage/Bernhoft (USF), 9-7
3. Duncan/Chang (USF) def. Roemer/Wingo (UCD), 8-3
1. Gabi Ruiz (USF) def. Janice Salomon (UCD), 6-3, 6-1
2. Anna Skogerboe (USF) def. Ally Muller (UCD), 3-6, 7-5, 6-3
3. Carey Savage (USF) def. Gretchen Schantz (UCD), 6-1, 6-3
4. Stephanie Chang (USF) def. Jennifer Fong (UCD), 1-6, 7-6, (7-5), 6-3
5. Michelle Duncna (USF) def. Kerri Roemer (UCD), 6-0, 6-2
6. Christy Battig (UCD) def. Jill Rader (USF) 6-2, 7-6 (1)