Feb. 9, 2013
EUGENE, Ore. - Junior Nicole Koehly earned the first singles victory of the day for UC Davis in its non-conference tennis match at the Oregon Student Tennis Center in Eugene, Ore., against No. 69 Oregon Saturday afternoon.
Shortly after Koehly’s match ended, Melissa Kobayakawa earned the Aggies’ final point of the afternoon as UC Davis opened its five-match road trip by falling 5-2 to the Ducks.
UC Davis will now enter Sunday’s match at Portland with a 1-5 record, Oregon improves to 7-0 with the win.
By earning the break point needed to capture the first set by a score of 6-4, the junior from Santa Ana wrapped up her match against Lana Buttner in convincing fashion by posting a 6-3 second set result.
Entering Saturday’s clash against the Aggies, Oregon had only dropped five of its 36 singles matches.
Kobayakawa recorded the final point of the day when Oregon’s Sofia Hager retired, officially ending the non-conference event in the process.
UC Davis will continue its road trip through the Pacific Northwest Sunday afternoon at Portland. Action against the host Pilots from the Louisiana-Pacific Tennis Center in Portland, Ore., will start at 11 a.m.
UC Davis at No. 69 Oregon
Feb. 9, 2013, at Eugene, Ore.
(Oregon Student Tennis Center)
Oregon 5, UC Davis 2
1. Patricia Skowronski/Nicole Long (UO) def. Ellie Edles/Tiffany Pham (UCD) 8-3
2. Julia Metzger/Pascale Neubert (UO) def. Nicole Koehly/Layla Sanders (UCD) 8-4
3. Sofia Hager/Lana Buttner (UO) vs. Megan Heneghan/Lauren Curry 7-5, unfinished
1. Patricia Skowronski (UO) def. Megan Heneghan (UCD) 6-3, 6-3
2. Nicole Long (UO) def. Lauren Curry (UCD) 6-2, 6-2
3. Pascale Neubert (UO) def. Layla Sanders (UCD) 6-4, 6-3
4. Julia Metzger (UO) def. Ellie Edles (UCD) 6-1, 6-2
5. Melissa Kobayakawa (UCD) def. Sofia Hager (UO) 4-6, 2-3 retired
6. Nicole Koehly (UCD) def. Lana Buttner (UO) 6-4, 6-3
Aggies open Hawai'i road trip with third straight sweep
New first serve time for women's tennis match vs. UCSB
Women's tennis earns
second straight weekend sweep
Aggies host rare doubleheader this weekend
Aggies down Dons, 5-2,
sweep weekend duals