HONOLULU - UC Davis needed just a shade over 90 minutes to push its overall record to 9-1 this season by sweeping Chaminade, 9-0, in the first of back-to-back duals in Honolulu, Hawai’i. Just under 24 hours after recording its third sweep in a row, women’s tennis will face the Hawai’i Rainbow Wahine in the first Big West match of the season. First serve for Saturday’s contest is set for 1 p.m. PT/11 a.m. HT.
Chaminade will continue its season with a 0-1 record.
The Aggies’ visit to Central Oahu Regional Park, the site of Friday’s match, was a brief one because they only dropped two games all afternoon.
Since Division II rules were in effect, each doubles and singles match represented one team point, hence the 9-0 sweep instead of a 7-0 result, which is a shutout score when Division I rules are applied. In tomorrow’s match vs. the Rainbow Wahine, all six singles matchups are worth one team point; whichever squad wins two of three contests throughout the doubles round will earn one team point.
In Friday’s singles play, Kristy Jorgensen, Lani-Rae Green and Jessie Lee competed at positions 1-3, with Kristina Breisacher, Nikita Pradeep and Isabella von Ebbe rounding out head coach Bill Maze’s lineup. Of those six singles matches, all but one ended with a 6-0, 6-1 score. In that outlier, a 6-0, 6-1 result was recorded.
Doubles competition saw Kelsie Bryant and Jorgensen compete at No. 1, von Ebbe and Breisacher at No. 2, Samantha Martino and Pradeep at No. 3. As was the case throughout the singles round, only one game was dropped by the Aggies since 8-0 scores were recorded in two of three events.
Including Friday’s results, Aggie doubles teams have dominated their opponents throughout the season, winning 15 of 19 matches (.789). UC Davis’ singles percentage is just as impressive since the eight players who have competed throughout the spring season are responsible for winning two-thirds of their 39 combined matches.
UC Davis 9, Chaminade 0
Feb. 10, 2017
Waiphau, Hawaii (Central Oahu Regional Park)
1. Bryant, Kelsie/Jorgensen, Kristy (UCD) def. Kauanoe Beamer/Elyssa Shirai (CUH-WT) 8-1
2. von Ebbe, Isabella/Breisacher, Kristina (UCD) def. Cai Yan Fang/Tomomi Kohno (CUH-WT) 8-0
3. Martino, Samantha/Pradeep, Nikita (UCD) def. Emma Haurillon/Hannah Parker (CUH-WT) 8-0
1. Jorgensen, Kristy (UCD) def. Kauanoe Beamer (CUH-WT) 6-0, 6-1
2. Green, Lani-Rae (UCD) def. Elyssa Shirai (CUH-WT) 6-0, 6-0
3. Lee, Jessie (UCD) def. Cai Yan Fang (CUH-WT) 6-0, 6-0
4. Breisacher, Kristina (UCD) def. Tomomi Kohno (CUH-WT) 6-0, 6-0
5. Pradeep, Nikita (UCD) def. Emma Haurillon (CUH-WT) 6-0, 6-0
6. von Ebbe, Isabella (UCD) def. Kim Spring (CUH-WT) 6-0, 6-0
UC Davis 6-1
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (6,5,4,2,3,1)
Aggies round out regular season with two matches
Women's tennis bested by
Long Beach State