Feb. 12, 2012
SAN LUIS OBISPO, Calif. -
UC Davis won four of six singles matches - two of them in three sets - as the No. 64 Aggie women's tennis team rallied to upset No. 46 Cal Poly on Sunday afternoon in a Big West women's tennis match, snapping the Mustangs' 13-contest home winning streak.
The victory, which came after Cal Poly captured the doubles points for the fifth time in six matches this season, gave UC Davis a split of its Central Coast roadtrip this weekend.
The Aggies are 3-6 overall and 1-1 in conference action while the Mustangs, who last lost at home on April 2, 2010, fell to 4-2 overall and 0-1 in the Big West. The victory was also UC Davis' first over Cal Poly in five matches since joining the Big West in 2007-08.
The Mustangs got off to a strong start, sweeping three matches to earn the doubles point, although Layla Sanders and Dahra Zumudio battled hard in an 8-7 loss to Cal Poly's Gabby Gatewood and Jen Cornea at No. 2, and Nicole Koehly and Ellie Edles dropped a narrow 8-6 decision to Ane McPike and Kathryn Webb at No. 3.
The Aggies, however, rebounded with a spirited effort in singles, taking straight-set victories by Megan Heneghan over Alex Lee at No.1, 6-3, 6-1 and by Lauren Curry over Gatewood 6-3, 6-3 at No. 4.
Zamudio and Sanders needed three sets to win their respective singles matches with Sanders battling back to take the final two sets 6-4, 6-2 to McPike at No. 6 after dropping the first set 7-5.
Zamudio, playing at No. 2, beat Cornea 7-5 in the first set but losing a 7-6 tiebreaker in the second before rallying taking the decisive set, 6-3. Heneghan and Curry had unbeaten weekends in singles for UC Davis after posting wins during the Aggies' close 4-3 loss at No. 67 UC Santa Barbara on Saturday.
The Aggies will return to action on Friday when they host Causeway rival Sacramento State at 1:30 p.m. on the Marya Welch Tennis Center.
No. 64 UC Davis 4, No. 46 Cal Poly 3
Mustang Courts (San Luis Obispo, Calif.)
1. Jocelyn Davis/Alexa LeeLee (CP) def. Megan Heneghan/Kelly Chui (UCD), 8-4
2. Gabby Gatewood/Jen Cornea (CP) def. Layla Sanders/Dahra Zamudio (UCD), 8-7
3. Ane McPike/Kathryn Webb (CP) def. Nicole Koehly/Ellie Edles (UCD), 8-6
1. Megan Heneghan (UCD) def. Alexa Lee (CP), 6-3, 6-1
2. Dahra Zamudio (UCD) def. Jen Cornea (CP), 7-5, 6-7, 6-3
3. Jocelyn Davis (CP) def. Kelly Chui (UCD), 7-5, 6-3
4. Lauren Curry (UCD) def. Gabby Gatewood (CP), 6-3, 6-3
5. Kathryn Webb (CP) def. Nicole Koehly (UCD), 6-4, 6-2
6. Layla Sanders (UCD) def. Ane McPike (CP), 5-7, 6-4, 6-2