Feb. 12, 2014
DAVIS, Calif. - UC Davis took an early 1-0 lead by taking two of three doubles matches in Wednesday's home opener at the Marya Welch Tennis Center against Nevada, but the Wolf Pack ended up winning five of six singles matches to defeat the Aggies by a 5-2 score.
UC Davis will begin its upcoming two-match road trip with a 2-3 overall record, Nevada improves to 4-1 with the result.
Megan Heneghan and Melissa Kobayakawa were the first Aggies to finish their respective doubles match, in impressive manner no less, after shutting out Caroline Konigsfeldt and Beatriz Garcia Planas 8-0 to place UC Davis one step away from capturing the first point of the day.
Heneghan/Kobayakawa earned their result as the Aggies' No. 2 pairing.
By defeating the Wolf Pack's Sheila Smiley 6-4, 6-0, Kobayakawa helped UC Davis double its lead, collecting her second victory of the day in the process.
The Aggies' fortunes took a dramatic turn from that point on as Nevada took the final five singles events to come-from-behind post its fourth straight team victory.
Saturday's 11 a.m. Big West opener, taking place at the Rhodes Tennis Center in Long Beach, Calif., will open a two-match league road trip that will end at UC Riverside the following day.
Nevada 5, UC Davis 2
Feb. 12, 2014
Davis, Calif. - Marya Welch Tennis Center
1. Layla Sanders/Nicole Koehly (UCD) def. Michelle Okhremchuk/Sheila M. Hidalgo (NEV) 8-5
2. Megan Heneghan/Melissa Kobayakawa (UCD) def. Caroline Konigsfeldt/Beatriz. G. Planas (NEV) 8-0
3. Sheila Smiley/Juliette Legendre (NEV) def. Tiffany Pham/Samantha Martino (UCD) 8-4
1. Michelle Okhremchuk (NEV) def. Megan Heneghan (UCD) 6-4, 6-4
2. Sheila M. Hidalgo (NEV) def. Layla Sanders (UCD) 7-5, 6-4
3. Caroline Konigsfeldt (NEV) def. Nicole Koehly (UCD) 6-4, 6-3
4. Melissa Kobayakawa (UCD) def. Sheila Smiley (NEV) 6-4, 6-0
5. Monika Magusiak (NEV) def. Tiffany Pham (UCD) 7-6 (7-4), 7-6 (7-4)
6. Juliette Legendre (NEV) def. Kamila Kecki (UCD) 7-6 (7-3), 6-7 (4-7), 6-2
7. Frederique Sleiffer (UCD) def. Beatriz G. Planas (NEV) 6-3, 7-6 (7-4)
Nevada 4-1; UC Davis 2-3
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (4,1,2,3,6,5)