Feb. 15, 2014
LONG BEACH, Calif. - UC Davis' two-match road trip started Saturday morning at No. 46 Long Beach State, a match that saw Megan Heneghan and Tiffany Pham win their singles matches in a league contest that the 49ers captured at the Rhodes Tennis Center in Long Beach, Calif., by a 5-2 score.
By dropping its first Big West dual of the season, the Aggies will enter Sunday's conference match, at UC Riverside, with a 2-4 overall and 0-1 league mark. By capturing its sixth straight victory, No. 46 Long Beach improves to 6-1 and 3-0 respectively.
The 49ers took the doubles point and the first singles match to jump out to a 2-0 lead until Heneghan put UC Davis on the board with her straight-set singles victory. Competing at No. 1, Heneghan easily dispatched Ebba Unden 6-2, 6-4 to cut the 49ers' lead in half.
As the day progressed, Pham also ended her day by downing Haley Thompson in a similar manner to her teammate. Including her 6-3, 6-2 triumph, Pham has emerged victorious in four of her last five singles matchups-primarily at No. 5 as was the case in Long Beach. Even her only loss throughout that timespan was a highly competitive contest as she fell to Nevada via tiebreak in each singles set played against the Wolf Pack last Wednesday.
The Aggies will only have a limited amount of time to recover from Saturday's action and prepare for Sunday's meeting against UC Riverside. UC Davis' final dual of its current road trip is slated for noon, at the SRC Tennis Courts, in Riverside, Calif.
#46 Long Beach State 5, UC Davis 2
Feb. 15, 2014
Long Beach, Calif. (Rhodes Tennis Center)
1. #54 Maeva Razakasoa/Ebba Unden (LBSU) def. Layla Sanders/Nicole Koehly (UCD) 8-0
2. Julie Gerard/Karolina Rozenberg (LBSU) def. Megan Heneghan/Melissa Kobayakawa (UCD) 8-2
3. Holly Reid/Laura Eales (LBSU) def. Tiffany Pham/Samantha Martino (UCD) 8-3
4. Kamila Kecki/Frederique Sleiffer (UCD) def. Haley Thompson/Gabriela Tilkeridisova (LBSU) (no score; exh.)
1. Megan Heneghan (UCD) def. Ebba Unden (LBSU) 6-2, 6-4
2. Maeva Razakasoa (LBSU) def. Layla Sanders (UCD) 6-3, 6-3
3. Julie Gerard (LBSU) def. Nicole Koehly (UCD) 6-0, 6-0
4. Karolina Rozenberg (LBSU) def. Melissa Kobayakawa (UCD) 6-2, 6-2
5. Tiffany Pham (UCD) def. Haley Thompson (LBSU) 6-3, 6-2
6. Holly Reid (LBSU) def. Kamila Kecki (UCD) 6-3, 6-3
7. Laura Eales (LBSU) def. Frederique Sleiffer (UCD) 6-3, 6-3 (exh.)
8. Gabriela Tilkeridisova (LBSU) def. Samantha Martino (UCD) 4-6, 6-4, 11-9 (exh.)
UC Davis 2-4, 0-1 BWC
Long Beach State 6-1, 3-0 BWC; National ranking #46
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (3,2,1,5,4,6)