Feb. 16, 2013
SAN FRANCISCO - Earning one-point road wins at Portland and No. 63 Sacramento State, UC Davis entered Saturday’s non-conference event at Golden Gate Park against the host San Francisco Dons looking to extend its win streak to three matches. However, by taking four of the six singles matches, the Dons were able to defeat the Aggies by a narrow 4-3 margin.
With the result, the Aggies fall to 3-6 while San Francisco improves to 4-2.
One team point has been the difference in four of UC Davis’ last five matches.
“Those matches are especially enjoyable when you win them, but they are fun to compete in,” said UC Davis head coach Bill Maze.
"That is a sign that our team is getting better.”
Not only did UC Davis win its first double point of the season, the Aggies took two of three doubles matches to take an early 1-0 lead.
Five of the Aggies’ nine matches this season have taken place against nationally ranked competition; UC Davis entered Saturday’s match with four doubles victories to its credit and significantly added to that total within the inaugural hour of competition.
"USF is great with their doubles teams, winning that point was huge."
Melissa Kobayakawa and Megan Heneghan earned the Aggies’ first doubles triumph of the day by defeating Melinda Akerbrant and Marina Nikolic 8-5; UC Davis officially took an early 1-0 lead when Nicole Koehly and Layla Sanders posted an 8-6 victory against Millica Hadzi-Tanovic and Yurie Hashiguchi.
Koehly recorded a sweep of her events by defeating San Francisco’s Melinda Akerbrandt in the singles round 6-0, 4-6, 6-4, Lauren Curry also earned a singles victory in her only match of the day against Hadzi-Tanovic by a 4-6, 6-2, 1-0 (10-7) margin.
With San Francisco earning the fourth point to officially defeat UC Davis while Curry was still competing, her singles match utilized 10-point tiebreak to declare a victor after splitting the first two sets.
UC Davis vs. San Francisco
Feb. 16, 2013 at San Francisco, Calif.
(Golden Gate Park)
San Francisco 4, UC Davis 3
1. Andrea Ka/Sofia Holmberg (USF) def. Ellie Edles/Tiffany Pham (UCD) 8-6
2. Nicole Koehly/Layla Sanders (UCD) def. Millica Hadzi-Tanovi/Yurie Hashiguchi (USF) 8-6
3. Melissa Kobayakawa/Megan Heneghan (UCD) def. Melinda Akerbrant/Marina Nikolic (USF) 8-5
1. Andrea Ka (USF) def. Megan Heneghan (UCD) 6-2, 6-4
2. Sofia Holmberg (USF) def. Layla Sanders (UCD) 6-4, 6-4
3. Lauren Curry (UCD) def. Millica Hadzi-Tanovi (USF) 4-6, 6-2, 1-0 (10-7)
4. Marina Nikolic (USF) def. Melissa Kobayakawa (UCD) 6-4, 6-2
5. Yurie Hashiguchi (USF) def. Ellie Edles (UCD) 6-3, 7-6 (7-3)
6. Nicole Koehly (UCD) def. Melinda Akerbrant (USF) 6-0, 4-6, 6-4
Match Notes: UC Davis 3-6, San Francisco 4-2
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (1,4,5,2,6,3)