DAVIS, Calif. — The UC Davis women’s tennis team won two of the six singles matches in the Sunday afternoon matchup with Saint Mary’s at the Marya Welch Tennis Center, but the Gaels finished the dual with a 5-2 victory over the Aggies.
The Moraga, Calif., university sealed the 1-0 lead going into singles play after defeating the home team at the No. 1 and No. 2 position. Prior to those wins, Aggie duo Kelsie Bryant and Isabella von Ebbe claimed the first match win against partners Clementine Celment and Aubane Ville, 6-1.
Nikita Pradeep and von Ebbe were the only two players to tally up singles points for UC Davis, and those two wins didn’t come until the last two matches of the day, when Saint Mary’s already posted five-point team score.
The first of the two came from Pradeep, who defeated Clement despite a first-set deficit, 4-6, 7-5, 10-6, while the second came from von Ebbe’s matchup against Saint Mary’s Emma Critser, where she also won in the third set despite having a first-set disadvantage, 3-6, 7-5, 10-6.
Aside from the Aggies and Gaels dual, Pradeep remains undefeated in singles play for the 2018 dual season with an 8-0 overall record.
The UC Davis women’s tennis team returns to action this weekend for a two-match road weekend against two conference universities. On Saturday (Feb. 24) the Aggies will go up against UC Santa Barbara at 10:30 a.m., and on the following day (Feb. 25), the women’s tennis squad will meet with Cal Poly’s team at 10:00 a.m.
NCAA WOMEN’S TENNIS
UC Davis (7-2) hosts Saint Mary’s (4-5)
Feb. 18, 2018 at Davis, Calif. (Marya Welch Tennis Center)
FINAL SCORE: Saint Mary’s 5, UC Davis 2
1. Hind Abdelouahid/Mariia Kozureva (SMC) def. Kristina Breisacher / Lani-Rae Green (UCD), 6-4
2. Emma Critser/Kareena Manji (SMC) def. Nikita Pradeep / Sara Tsukamoto (UCD), 7-6(1)
3. Kelsie Bryant / Isabella von Ebbe (UCD) def. Clementine Clement/Aubane Ville (SMC), 6-1
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2*
1. Mariia Kozyreva (SMC) def. Kristina Breisacher (UCD), 6-4, 4-6, 6-2
2. Hind Abdelouahid (SMC) def. Lani-Rae Green (UCD), 6-4, 6-3
3. Nikita Pradeep (UCD) def. Clementine Clement (SMC), 4-6, 7-5, 10-6
4. Kareena Manji (SMC) def. Sara Tsukamoto (UCD), 6-4, 6-1
5. Isabella von Ebbe (UCD) def. Emma Critter (SMC), 3-6, 7-5, 10-6
6. Vanessa Nommensen (SMC) def. Shirley Hall (UCD), 6-1, 6-3
Order of Finish: 6, 2, 1*, 5, 3
CONNECT WITH WOMEN’S TENNIS ON SOCIAL MEDIA:
UC Davis Women's Tennis Facebook Page | UC Davis Women's Tennis Instagram Page
ABOUT UC DAVIS
Providing a small-town community feel while providing a world-class academic experience, UC Davis is home to more than 37,000 students and centrally located between San Francisco, Lake Tahoe, and the Napa Valley.
Ranked among the top 10 public universities in the nation according to the Wall Street Journal and U.S. News and World Report, UC Davis offers nearly 100 graduate programs and more than 100 undergraduate majors across four colleges and six professional schools, including the world's top-ranked veterinary science and agriculture programs.
DON'T MISS OUT!
Tickets for all UC Davis sports are available by contacting the Athletics Ticket Office at (530) 752-AGS1, or by visiting us online at UCDavisAggies.com.
— #GoAgs —