SANTA CLARA, Calif. - In a non-conference match that experienced two delays for a combined three hours due to wet playing conditions, it was UC Davis that outlasted Santa Clara, with Nikita Pradeep and Samantha Martino’s tiebreak doubles victory that allowed the Aggies to collect the doubles point, snap a 3-3 tie score and seal a 4-3 victory.
Less that 24 hours after suffering a loss in their inaugural home Big West contest of the season, the Aggies’ gritty response to the rain, high winds and the Broncos helped them end the weekend with a 7-3 overall record. With the result, Santa Clara falls to 1-3.
In an attempt to beat incoming storms, Sunday’s dual at the Degheri Tennis Center opened with singles play. The doubles round would take place if neither team could win the match outright — something that took place since the Broncos and Aggies each won three matchups.
All three UC Davis singles victories took place in straight sets: Kristina Breisacher defeated Zeina El Tawil, 6-4 and 6-4; Pradeep topped Delaney Nothaft, 6-3, 6-2; Isabella von Ebbe breezed past Caitlyn Frankel, 6-4 and 6-2.
After the Aggies dropped the first doubles match to finish, victories in the remaining contests in action were needed in order to experience a triumphant drive back to Davis.
And thanks to a pair of gutsy performances, that is exactly what happened.
When Jorgensen and Kelsie Bryant doubled up on Clarke and Silva, 6-3, by winning the first three games, the ultimate outcome of the six-hour match rested on Court Three’s result.
In an ending fitting for the marathon match that took place throughout the day — first serve was pushed up two hours to 10 a.m. — Martino and Pradeep entered a tiebreak situation against Frankel and El Tawil. Once UC Davis secured a service break, the Aggie duo won that tiebreak by a 7-4 score, which snapped a 3-3 tie in UC Davis’ favor.
Even more impressive abourt Martino-Pradeep's victory is that the pair trailed 5-2 in the third set before staging a massive comback, which forced a dual-deciding tiebreak.
Women’s tennis will open a season-long five-match homestand on Feb. 25 when Pacific visits the Marya Welch Tennis Center. First serve for that dual will take place at 10:30 a.m.
UC Davis 4, Santa Clara 3
Feb. 19, 2017
Santa Clara, Calif. (Degheri Tennis Center)
1. Jorgensen, Kristy/Bryant, Kelsie (UCD) def. Madison Clarke/Daniella Silva (SCU) 6-3
2. Nabila Farah/Delaney Nothaft (SCU) def. Isabella von Ebbe/Breisacher, Kristina (UCD) 6-1
3. Pradeep, Nikita/Martino, Samantha (UCD) def. Caitlyn Frankel/Zeina El Tawil (SCU) 7-6 (7-4)
1. Daniella Silva (SCU) def. Jorgensen, Kristy (UCD) 7-5, 6-3
2. Madison Clarke (SCU) def. Green, Lani-Rae (UCD) 6-2, 2-6, 6-1
3. Nabila Farah (SCU) def. Jessi Lee (UCD) 6-3, 6-2
4. Breisacher, Kristina (UCD) def. Zeina El Tawil (SCU) 6-4, 6-4
5. Pradeep, Nikita (UCD) def. Delaney Nothaft (SCU) 6-3, 6-2
6. Isabella von Ebbe (UCD) def. Caitlyn Frankel (SCU) 6-4, 6-2
UC Davis 7-3
Santa Clara 1-3
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (3,5,6,2,4,1)
The match was delayed twice for more than 3 hours due to rain and wet courts