Feb. 23, 2013
FRESNO, Calif. - Megan Heneghan and Melissa Kobayakawa led a UC Davis women's tennis squad that ended its five-match road trip Saturday afternoon at the Spalding G. Wathen Tennis Center in Fresno, Calif., against its second nationally-ranked opponent in as many weeks. Competing at No. 53 Fresno State, the two were responsible for the Aggies' team points in a 5-2 match that did not end in their favor.
With the result, UC Davis falls to 3-7 while Fresno State pushes its record to 5-4.
Last week, the Aggies defeated No. 63 Sacramento State in come-from-behind fashion by a 4-3 score.
Of the 10 opponents UC Davis has faced this season, six have been ranked nationally at the time of the event.
Earning wins in two of the final three singles matchups, Heneghan defeated Rana Sherif Ahmed, Fresno State's No. 1 player, in straight sets by a 7-5, 6-0 score to earn her team's first point of the day.
Competing at UC Davis' No. 4 singles position, Kobayakawa split her first two sets against the Bulldogs' Bianca Modoc, winning the first frame 7-5 before falling 3-6. To determine a winner, a best-of-10 tiebreaker was instigated since the overall result of the day's match had already fallen in Fresno State's direction.
Earning the lone point in the third set by winning the tiebreaker, 11-9, Kobayakawa recorded the final set victory for a UC Davis team that will now return to the Marya Welch Tennis center for its Big West Conference home opener next week.
The Aggies will host Cal Poly on Saturday, March 2, before competing in its final four road matches of the season - Big West Championships at Indian Wells, Calif., notwithstanding.
UC Davis vs. Fresno State
Feb. 23, 2013 at Fresno, Calif.
(Spalding G. Wathen Tennis Center)
No. 53 Fresno State 5, UC Davis 2
1. #53 Aishwarya Agrawal/Bianca Modoc (FS) def. Ellie Edles/Tiffany Pham (UCD) 8-5
2. Melissa McQueen/Rana Sherif Ahmed (FS) def. Nicole Koehly/Layla Sanders (UCD) 8-4
3. Olga Kirpicheva/Anneka Watts (FS) def. Megan Heneghan/Melissa Kobayakawa (UCD) 8-3
1. Megan Heneghan (UCD) def. Rana Sherif Ahmed (FS) 7-5, 6-0
2. Aishwarya Agrawal (FS) def. Layla Sanders (UCD) 6-4, 6-4
3. Melissa McQueen (FS) def. Ellie Edles (UCD) 6-3, 6-4
4. Melissa Kobayakawa (UCD) def. Bianca Modoc (FS) 7-5, 3-6, 1-0 (11-9)
5. Anneka Watts (FS) def. Nicole Koehly (UCD) 6-3, 6-1
6. Anne Susdorf (FS) def. Tiffany Pham (UCD) 6-3, 7-6 (7-4)
Match Notes: Fresno State 5-4, National ranking #53; UC Davis 3-7
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (3,5,2,1,6,4)