DAVIS, Calif. - There is one thing that UC Davis’ upcoming opponents need to realize before learning the hard way: The Aggies, regardless of the overall score, will compete from start, to finish, until the final team point of the day is recorded. For the second straight weekend, UC Davis secured a 4-3 victory — this time, women’s tennis’ come-from-behind effort took place against Air Force — in dramatic fashion, by battling back from the precipice of defeat until the desired result was recorded Sunday afternoon.
Victorious in its first two duals, UC Davis will continue its season-long five-match homestand with a 9-3 record, one win shy of matching last year’s total. Air Force fell to 6-6 with the result.
Trailing 3-0 after dropping the doubles point, and the first two singles matches to finish, Kristina Breisacher kick-started her team’s comeback by defeating Elizabeth Barnickel, 7-5, 7-5.
Now that UC Davis spoiled the Falcons’ shutout bid, all attention shifted to courts four, five and six where the remaining singles matches were still in progress.
The fact that players in each of those matches split the first two sets, and needed a third to decide a victory only added to the drama that took place at the Marya Welch Tennis Center.
Within a few moments, a 3-1 Air Force lead disappeared into thin air thanks to identical results posted by Isabella von Ebbe and Nikita Pradeep, over Jocelle Rudico and Nadeen Lieberman. Von Ebbe and Pradeep each secured another vital team point with their 3-6, 6-3, 6-1 results.
Now tied a three apiece, the action on Court No. 4 ultimately decided the dual’s winner. Even though Jessie Lee earned an early advantage by winning the first set, 6-2, Lily Forlini staved off defeat by taking the second set, 6-4 Forlini’s effort only delayed the inevitable because Lee powered her way to another singles victory by winning the last set by a 6-1 score.
And with that set victory, UC Davis collected another exciting result in the process.
Women’s tennis will return to the Marya Welch Tennis Center on Friday to host Montana, the first of three opponents, in as many days, that will face the Aggies in home duals. First serve vs. the Grizzlies will take place at 1:30 p.m.
UC Davis 4, Air Force 3
Feb. 26, 2017
Davis, Calif. (Marya Welch Tennis Center)
1. Fumagalli, TJ/Barnickel, Elizabeth (AF) def. Jorgensen, Kristy/Bryant, Kelsie (UCD) 6-2
2. Forlini, Chloe/Rudico, Jocelle (AF) def. Breisacher, Kristina/von Ebbe, Isabella (UCD) 6-4
3. Pradeep, Nikita/Martino, Samantha (UCD) vs. Forlini, Lily/Lieberman, Nadeen (AF) 5-5, unfinished
1. Forlini, Chloe (AF) def. Jorgensen, Kristy (UCD) 6-4, 6-4
2. Fumagalli, TJ (AF) def. Green, Lani-Rae (UCD) 6-4, 6-0
3. Breisacher, Kristina (UCD) def. Barnickel, Elizabeth (AF) 7-5, 7-5
4. Lee, Jessie (UCD) def. Forlini, Lily (AF) 6-2, 4-6, 6-1
5. Pradeep, Nikita (UCD) def. Lieberman, Nadeen (AF) 3-6, 6-3, 6-1
6. von Ebbe, Isabella (UCD) def. Rudico, Jocelle (AF) 3-6, 6-3, 6-1
Air Force 6-6
UC Davis 9-3
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (2,1,3,6,5,4)