Feb. 28, 2010
SAN LUIS OBISPO, Calif. - Cal Poly opened with a doubles sweep and then won all six singles matches, including a pair that went to three sets, as the Mustangs blanked visiting UC Davis in a Big West Conference women's tennis match on Sunday afternoon.
The Aggies dropped to 2-6 overall and 0-2 in the Big West while Cal Poly improved to 7-2 overall and 3-1 in league.
UC Davis battled the Mustangs tough in doubles, includng a close 8-6 loss by Desiree Stone and Herzyl Legaspi to Suzie Matzenauer and Brittany Blalock at No. 1. The other two sets were both 8-4 decisions.
Cal Poly then secured wins in each of the singles contests but two of them were stretched to three sets while two others featured tiebreakers. Matzenauer downed Stone 4-6, 6-4, 6-4 at No 1 for one of the Mustangs' close victories while Steffi Wong beat Legaspi 6-4, 3-6, 6-2 at No. 3 for another.
UC Davis will return to action on Tuesday afternoon when they host San Jose State in a nonconference matchup at the Marya Welch Tennis Center.
Cal Poly 7, UC Davis 0
Mustang Courts (San Luis Obispo, Calif.)
Feb. 28, 2010
1. Matzenauer/Blalock (CP) def. Stone/Legaspi (UCD), 8-6
2. Wong/Lee (CP) def. Edles/Zamudio (UCD), 8-4
3. Eades/Curry (UCD) def. Filip/Pane (CP), 8-4
1. Suzie Matzenauer (CP) def. Desiree Stone (UCD), 4-6, 6-4, 6-4
2. Brittany Blalock (CP) def. Dahra Zamudio (UCD), 6-3, 7-6
3. Steffi Wong (CP) def. Herzyl Legaspi (UCD), 6-4, 3-6, 6-2
4. Diane Filip (CP) def. Lauren Curry (UCD), 6-4, 6-2
5. Alexa Lee (CP) def. Ellie Edles (UCD), 6-0, 6-3
6. Jocelyn Davis (CP) def. Sidney Brady (UCD), 7-6, 6-1
Rain pushes dual at Hawai'i to Sunday
Aggies open Hawai'i road trip with third straight sweep
New first serve time for women's tennis match vs. UCSB
Women's tennis earns
second straight weekend sweep
Aggies host rare doubleheader this weekend
Aggies down Dons, 5-2,
sweep weekend duals