Feb. 28, 2010
SAN LUIS OBISPO, Calif. - Cal Poly opened with a doubles sweep and then won all six singles matches, including a pair that went to three sets, as the Mustangs blanked visiting UC Davis in a Big West Conference women's tennis match on Sunday afternoon.
The Aggies dropped to 2-6 overall and 0-2 in the Big West while Cal Poly improved to 7-2 overall and 3-1 in league.
UC Davis battled the Mustangs tough in doubles, includng a close 8-6 loss by Desiree Stone and Herzyl Legaspi to Suzie Matzenauer and Brittany Blalock at No. 1. The other two sets were both 8-4 decisions.
Cal Poly then secured wins in each of the singles contests but two of them were stretched to three sets while two others featured tiebreakers. Matzenauer downed Stone 4-6, 6-4, 6-4 at No 1 for one of the Mustangs' close victories while Steffi Wong beat Legaspi 6-4, 3-6, 6-2 at No. 3 for another.
UC Davis will return to action on Tuesday afternoon when they host San Jose State in a nonconference matchup at the Marya Welch Tennis Center.
Cal Poly 7, UC Davis 0
Mustang Courts (San Luis Obispo, Calif.)
Feb. 28, 2010
1. Matzenauer/Blalock (CP) def. Stone/Legaspi (UCD), 8-6
2. Wong/Lee (CP) def. Edles/Zamudio (UCD), 8-4
3. Eades/Curry (UCD) def. Filip/Pane (CP), 8-4
1. Suzie Matzenauer (CP) def. Desiree Stone (UCD), 4-6, 6-4, 6-4
2. Brittany Blalock (CP) def. Dahra Zamudio (UCD), 6-3, 7-6
3. Steffi Wong (CP) def. Herzyl Legaspi (UCD), 6-4, 3-6, 6-2
4. Diane Filip (CP) def. Lauren Curry (UCD), 6-4, 6-2
5. Alexa Lee (CP) def. Ellie Edles (UCD), 6-0, 6-3
6. Jocelyn Davis (CP) def. Sidney Brady (UCD), 7-6, 6-1