March 8, 2009
DAVIS, Calif. - The UC Davis women's tennis team won for the fourth time in its last five matches with a 4-3 victory over UC Riverside Sunday in a Big West Conference match at the Marya Welch Tennis Center. Jenna Kappel won twice for the Aggies, including the clinching match in singles. The win improved UC Davis to 9-8 overall and 2-4 in the conference.
UC Davis opened with two wins in doubles to take an initial 1-0 lead. Kappel and Andrea Phillips were the first to finish at No. 3 with an 8-3 win over Nadia Sakhakorn and Yasaman Sakhakorn. Next off was the duo of Randi Schuler and Desiree Stone with a clinching 9-8 victory at No. 1 against Erynne Oki and Roxanne Plata.
The Aggies took a 2-0 lead with the first win in singles. Dahra Zamudio provided the cushion when she defeated Nadia Sakhakorn, 6-1, 6-1, at No. 3. Jessica Harris followed at No. 6 with a 6-1, 6-2 win over Plata, and UC Davis led 3-0 at that point.
The Highlanders (4-8, 0-5 Big West) claimed a win at No. 4 before Kappel clinched the team win with a 6-3, 6-3 victory against Yasaman Sakhakorn at No. 5. The final two points went to UCR via wins at No. 1 and No. 2, respectively.
UC Davis returns to action March 11 when it hosts Sonoma State at 2:00 p.m.
UC Davis 4, UC Riverside 3
March 8, 2009
Davis, Calif. (Marya Welch Tennis Center)
1. Erynne Oki (UCR) d. Randi Schuler (UCD), 5-7, 3-0, ret.
2. Donna McCullough (UCR) d. Desiree Stone (UCD), 6-4, 2-6, 1-0 (11-9).
3. Dahra Zamudio (UCD) d. Nadia Sakhakorn (UCR), 6-1, 6-1.
4. Angelique Corpuz (UCR) d. Herzyl Legaspi (UCD), 6-1, 6-3.
5. Jenna Kappel (UCD) d. Yasaman Sakhakorn (UCR), 6-3, 6-3.
6. Jessica Harris (UCD) d. Roxanne Plata (UCR), 6-1, 6-2.
1. Schuler/Stone (UCD) d. Oki/Plata (UCR), 9-8 (3).
2. Corpuz/McCullough (UCR) d. Legaspi/Zamudio (UCD), 8-7 (5).
3. Kappel/ Andrea Phillips (UCD) d. N. Sakhakorn/Y. Sakhakorn (UCR), 8-3.
Aggies open Hawai'i road trip with third straight sweep
New first serve time for women's tennis match vs. UCSB
Women's tennis earns
second straight weekend sweep
Aggies host rare doubleheader this weekend
Aggies down Dons, 5-2,
sweep weekend duals