March 8, 2009
DAVIS, Calif. - The UC Davis women's tennis team won for the fourth time in its last five matches with a 4-3 victory over UC Riverside Sunday in a Big West Conference match at the Marya Welch Tennis Center. Jenna Kappel won twice for the Aggies, including the clinching match in singles. The win improved UC Davis to 9-8 overall and 2-4 in the conference.
UC Davis opened with two wins in doubles to take an initial 1-0 lead. Kappel and Andrea Phillips were the first to finish at No. 3 with an 8-3 win over Nadia Sakhakorn and Yasaman Sakhakorn. Next off was the duo of Randi Schuler and Desiree Stone with a clinching 9-8 victory at No. 1 against Erynne Oki and Roxanne Plata.
The Aggies took a 2-0 lead with the first win in singles. Dahra Zamudio provided the cushion when she defeated Nadia Sakhakorn, 6-1, 6-1, at No. 3. Jessica Harris followed at No. 6 with a 6-1, 6-2 win over Plata, and UC Davis led 3-0 at that point.
The Highlanders (4-8, 0-5 Big West) claimed a win at No. 4 before Kappel clinched the team win with a 6-3, 6-3 victory against Yasaman Sakhakorn at No. 5. The final two points went to UCR via wins at No. 1 and No. 2, respectively.
UC Davis returns to action March 11 when it hosts Sonoma State at 2:00 p.m.
UC Davis 4, UC Riverside 3
March 8, 2009
Davis, Calif. (Marya Welch Tennis Center)
1. Erynne Oki (UCR) d. Randi Schuler (UCD), 5-7, 3-0, ret.
2. Donna McCullough (UCR) d. Desiree Stone (UCD), 6-4, 2-6, 1-0 (11-9).
3. Dahra Zamudio (UCD) d. Nadia Sakhakorn (UCR), 6-1, 6-1.
4. Angelique Corpuz (UCR) d. Herzyl Legaspi (UCD), 6-1, 6-3.
5. Jenna Kappel (UCD) d. Yasaman Sakhakorn (UCR), 6-3, 6-3.
6. Jessica Harris (UCD) d. Roxanne Plata (UCR), 6-1, 6-2.
1. Schuler/Stone (UCD) d. Oki/Plata (UCR), 9-8 (3).
2. Corpuz/McCullough (UCR) d. Legaspi/Zamudio (UCD), 8-7 (5).
3. Kappel/ Andrea Phillips (UCD) d. N. Sakhakorn/Y. Sakhakorn (UCR), 8-3.