March 9, 2014
SAN LUIS OBISPO, Calif. – UC Davis captured the first team point of the Sunday afternoon’s Big West Conference dual at Cal Poly by taking two of three doubles matches, and scored the final point as well when Tiffany Pham exited Mustang Courts with a three-set singles victory to help the Aggies defeat the Mustangs 4-2.
UC Davis will open a six-game homestand Wednesday afternoon against Youngstown State with a 6-6 overall record and 2-2 league mark. Cal Poly ends its weekend with records of 3-6 and 0-3.
As was the case at UC Santa Barbara the previous day, Layla Sanders/Nicole Koehly and Megan Heneghan/Melissa Kobayakawa won their doubles matches by respective scores of 8-4 and 8-7 to secure the first team point of the day.
Heneghan doubled her team’s lead by defeating Cal Poly’s No. 1 singles player, Jennifer Cornea, 6-4, 6-1, shortly before Kamila Kecki recorded a 6-2, 6-1 win of her own at No. 6 against Sayaka Tsugai.
Before Pham’s triumph, Cal Poly was able to earn two team points via singles victories; that was as close as the Mustangs came to pulling even with the Aggies as the win became official once Pham captured a 3-6, 6-3, 6-3 victory over Ane McPike at No. 5.
Once UC Davis earned its sixth overall and second Big West win, Melissa Kobayakawa’s singles matchup ended immediate to allow the Aggies to travel back to Davis at a reasonable hour.
The Aggies earned their victory in front of a familiar face In Ellie Edles, albeit in a unique situation. The four-year Aggie letterwinner competed against her former teammates for the first time since Cal Poly hired her as its assistant coach last summer.
After splitting its two Central California conference matches, UC Davis will host its next six straight duals starting Wednesday afternoon against Youngstown State. Action from the Marya Welch Tennis Center will start at 1 p.m.
UC Davis 4, Cal Poly 2
March 9, 2014
San Luis Obispo, Calif. (Mustang Courts)
1. Layla Sanders/Nicole Koehly (UCD) def. Jennifer Cornea/Ane McPike (CP) 8-4
2. Megan Heneghan/Melissa Kobayakawa (UCD) def. Kathryn Webb/Mika Padmanabhan (CP) 8-7
3. Emily Gibbens/Sayaka Tsugai (CP) def. Tiffany Pham/Samantha Martino (UCD) 8-4
4. Frederique Sleiffer/Kamila Kecki (UCD) def. Bryn Bacharach/Chanel Scudiero (CP) 8-0 (exh.)
1. Megan Heneghan (UCD) def. Jennifer Cornea (CP) 6-4, 6-1
2. Emily Gibbens (CP) def. Layla Sanders (UCD) 6-3, 7-5
3. Mika Padmanabhan (CP) vs. Melissa Kobayakawa (UCD) 6-3, 6-7, 1-0, unfinished
4. Kathryn Webb (CP) def. Nicole Koehly (UCD) 6-0, 6-3
5. Tiffany Pham (UCD) def. Ane McPike (CP) 3-6, 6-3, 6-3
6. Kamila Kecki (UCD) def. Sayaka Tsugai (CP) 6-2, 6-1
7. Frederique Sleiffer (UCD) def. Chanel Scudiero (CP) 6-4, 4-6, 10-4 (exh.)
UC Davis 5-7, 2-2 BWC
Cal Poly 3-6, 0-3 BWC
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (1,2,6,4,5,3)
Aggies open Hawai'i road trip with third straight sweep
New first serve time for women's tennis match vs. UCSB
Women's tennis earns
second straight weekend sweep
Aggies host rare doubleheader this weekend
Aggies down Dons, 5-2,
sweep weekend duals