DAVIS, Calif. -- Junior Kristy Jorgensen posted a three-set victory over nationally ranked Jana McCord of Saint Mary's at the top spot in the UC Davis singles lineup -- one of three singles wins on the day for the Aggies -- but the doubles point proved decisive on Sunday, helping the Gaels post a narrow, 4-3, win at the Timothy Korth Tennis Complex in Moraga, Calif.
Jorgensen closed out the match with her win over McCord by the scores of, 6-4, 5-7, 6-2, for the team's final point of the day, taking down the No. 114-ranked player in the country according to the latest ITA polls released on March 7.
UC Davis (11-5 overall) also got victories from Kristina Breisacher over Clementine Clement, 6-3, 6-4, at the No. 3 spot, and a three-set win by Isabella von Ebbe at No. 6 by the scores of, 6-1, 4-6, 6-4.
However, it was Saint Mary's (4-5 overall) that jumped out to the early lead, posting wins at No. 3 and No. 1 to claim the doubles point and, after Breisacher's win brought the Aggies even, the Gaels won in straight sets at No. 5 and No. 4 to put UC Davis at the brink. Jacqueline Pelletier then closed out the victory for the host school, bouncing back to defeat Lani-Rae Green in three sets, 6-2, 1-6, 6-3, to clinch the match.
A brief two-match home stand awaits UC Davis, which hosts Weber State on March 17 at 3 p.m., before welcoming Northern Colorado to the Marya Welch Tennis Center on March 26 at 11 a.m.
NCAA WOMEN'S TENNIS
UC Davis (11-5) at Saint Mary's (4-5)
March 12, 2017 at Moraga, Calif. (Timothy Korth Tennis Complex)
Saint Mary's 4, UC Davis 3
1. Jana McCord / Kareena Manji (SMC) def. Kristy Jorgensen / Kelsie Bryant (UCD), 6-2
2. Isabella von Ebbe / Kristina Breisacher (UCD) vs. Parminder Kaur / Danielle McIntyre (SMC), unfinished
3. Jacqueline Pelletier / Clementine Clement (SMC) def. Samantha Martino / Nikita Pradeep (UCD), 6-0
Order of finish: 3, 1*
1. Kristy Jorgensen (UCD) def. #114 Jana McCord (SMC), 6-4, 5-7, 6-2
2. Jacqueline Pelletier (SMC) def. Lani-Rae Green (UCD), 6-2, 1-6, 6-3
3. Kristina Breisacher (UCD) def. Clementine Clement (SMC), 6-3, 6-4
4. Kareena Manji (SMC) def. Nikita Pradeep (UCD), 7-6 (5), 6-1
5. Danielle McIntyre (SMC) def. Jessie Lee (UCD), 6-2, 6-4
6. Isabella von Ebbe (UCD) def. Parminder Kaur (SMC), 6-1, 4-6, 6-4
Order of finish: 3, 5, 4, 2*, 6, 1
Aggies round out regular season with two matches
Women's tennis bested by
Long Beach State