With the loss UC Davis will end its three-match conference road trip with a 6-9 overall record and 2-2 Big West mark, while CSUN improves to 8-3 and 3-2.
Sunday’s event was the final conference road event of the season; only a newly added non-conference road match at Cal State Stanislaus scheduled for March 30, stands between the Aggies and a season-ending six-match homestand.
CSUN secured the doubles point to take a 1-0 lead into the round of singles, Megan Heneghan and Melissa Kobayakawa earned the lone doubles victory for UC Davis by downing Corrine Schnyder and Jessica Warren 8-2. Their match, the second doubles contest to finish, tied the round’s score at one apiece before the Matadors broke that tie with a victory in the third, and decisive, contest of the round to record the first team point of the afternoon.
Ellie Edles quickly tied the overall match at 1-1 when she easily earned a straight set 6-1, 6-2 win over Schnyder, CSUN’s No. 5 singles player.
After the next two singles matches ended with Matador victories, Heneghan and Lauren Curry evened the match one again at 3-3 by defeating their CSUN opponent in the No. 1 and No. 3 positions. The former handed the Matadors’ top singles player, Maria Pistalu, her second loss in the last seven matches with a 7-6 (1), 6-3 triumph, with the latter earning another straight-set victory by a 7-6 (3), 7-6 (3) score.
Unfortunately for UC Davis, CSUN was able to win the third set of the final singles match of the day to escape the Matador Tennis Complex with a win over an Aggie squad that competed in its third match in as many days.
A 12 p.m. non-conference contest against Cal State Stanislaus, the final road match of the season, is the next time that UC Davis will return to action.
Cal State Northridge 4, UC Davis 3
March 17, 2013, at Northridge, Calif.
(Matador Tennis Complex)
1. Anna Yang/Sabrina Man-Son-Hing (CSUN) def. Ellie Edles/Tiffany Pham (UCD) 8-1
2. Maria Pistalu/Lorraine Cheung (CSUN) def. Layla Sanders/Nicole Koehly (UCD) 8-6
3. Megan Heneghan/Melissa Kobayakawa (UCD) def. Corrine Schnyder/Jessica Warren (CSUN) 8-2
1. Megan Heneghan (UCD) def. Maria Pistalu (CSUN) 7-6 (7-1), 6-3
2. Anna Yang (CSUN) def. Layla Sanders (UCD) 6-0, 6-4
3. Lauren Curry (UCD) def. Sabrina Man-Son-Hing (CSUN) 7-6 (7-3), 7-6 (7-3)
4. Lorraine Cheung (CSUN) def. Melissa Kobayakawa (UCD) 6-2, 5-7, 6-3
5. Ellie Edles (UCD) def. Corrine Schnyder (CSUN) 6-1, 6-2
6. Jessica Warren (CSUN) def. Nicole Koehly (UCD) 6-2, 6-2
Match Notes: UC Davis 6-9, 2-2 BWC; Cal State Northridge 8-3, 3-2 BWC
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (5,6,2,1,3,4)