March 17, 2013
NORTHRIDGE, Calif. – On a day that saw a 3-3 tied score settled in the final set of the last singles match, luck, and that third set result, did not end in UC Davis’ favor in Sunday’s Big West Conference match in Northridge, Calif., as the Aggies were edged 4-3 by Cal State Northridge at the Matador Tennis Complex.
With the loss UC Davis will end its three-match conference road trip with a 6-9 overall record and 2-2 Big West mark, while CSUN improves to 8-3 and 3-2.
Sunday’s event was the final conference road event of the season; only a newly added non-conference road match at Cal State Stanislaus scheduled for March 30, stands between the Aggies and a season-ending six-match homestand.
CSUN secured the doubles point to take a 1-0 lead into the round of singles, Megan Heneghan and Melissa Kobayakawa earned the lone doubles victory for UC Davis by downing Corrine Schnyder and Jessica Warren 8-2. Their match, the second doubles contest to finish, tied the round’s score at one apiece before the Matadors broke that tie with a victory in the third, and decisive, contest of the round to record the first team point of the afternoon.
Ellie Edles quickly tied the overall match at 1-1 when she easily earned a straight set 6-1, 6-2 win over Schnyder, CSUN’s No. 5 singles player.
After the next two singles matches ended with Matador victories, Heneghan and Lauren Curry evened the match one again at 3-3 by defeating their CSUN opponent in the No. 1 and No. 3 positions. The former handed the Matadors’ top singles player, Maria Pistalu, her second loss in the last seven matches with a 7-6 (1), 6-3 triumph, with the latter earning another straight-set victory by a 7-6 (3), 7-6 (3) score.
Unfortunately for UC Davis, CSUN was able to win the third set of the final singles match of the day to escape the Matador Tennis Complex with a win over an Aggie squad that competed in its third match in as many days.
A 12 p.m. non-conference contest against Cal State Stanislaus, the final road match of the season, is the next time that UC Davis will return to action.
1. Anna Yang/Sabrina Man-Son-Hing (CSUN) def. Ellie Edles/Tiffany Pham (UCD) 8-1
2. Maria Pistalu/Lorraine Cheung (CSUN) def. Layla Sanders/Nicole Koehly (UCD) 8-6
3. Megan Heneghan/Melissa Kobayakawa (UCD) def. Corrine Schnyder/Jessica Warren (CSUN) 8-2
1. Megan Heneghan (UCD) def. Maria Pistalu (CSUN) 7-6 (7-1), 6-3
2. Anna Yang (CSUN) def. Layla Sanders (UCD) 6-0, 6-4
3. Lauren Curry (UCD) def. Sabrina Man-Son-Hing (CSUN) 7-6 (7-3), 7-6 (7-3)
4. Lorraine Cheung (CSUN) def. Melissa Kobayakawa (UCD) 6-2, 5-7, 6-3
5. Ellie Edles (UCD) def. Corrine Schnyder (CSUN) 6-1, 6-2
6. Jessica Warren (CSUN) def. Nicole Koehly (UCD) 6-2, 6-2
Match Notes: UC Davis 6-9, 2-2 BWC; Cal State Northridge 8-3, 3-2 BWC
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (5,6,2,1,3,4)
Aggies round out regular season with two matches
Women's tennis bested by
Long Beach State