March 25, 2006
HONOLULU, Hawaii. - The UC Davis women's tennis team began a three-match swing in Hawaii Saturday when they were defeated by Hawaii-Hilo, 6-3, in Honolulu. The Aggies won one doubles match and claimed two victories in singles. The Vulcans entered the match ranked No. 10 nationally in Division II.
In doubles, the Aggies posted a point at No. 2 with an 8-3 victory by Jenna Kappel and Nancy Mok over Nicole Campbell and Sayaka Fukumoto. Hawaii-Hilo (8-3) would then take a 2-1 lead into singles play.
The Vulcans extended their lead to 3-1 with a victory at No. 6 and led 4-1 with another win at No. 3. At No. 5, Campbell provided what would be the clinching point when she defeated Nancy Mok, 6-3, 6-1, to put UHH up 5-1.
UC Davis (2-11) would receive wins from Ally Muller and Robin Guier before the conclusion of singles. Muller, at No. 1, defeated Mai Fuji, 6-3, 6-2. Guier was also victorious at No. 2 by the same score in defeating Tiana Lum-Tucker.
"It was a very tough match," said UC Davis head coach Bill Maze. "We struggled with the humidity and warm conditions and had some of our players experience cramping. However, I think we'll be more acclimated to the conditions for tomorrow's match."
UC Davis continues its road trip Sunday afternoon when it takes on Hawaii Pacific. The Aggies will also face Hawaii on Monday.
Hawaii-Hilo 6, UC Davis 3
1. Ally Muller (UCD) d. Mai Fuji (UHH), 6-3, 6-2.
2. Robin Guier (UCD) d. Tiana Lum-Tucker (UHH), 6-3, 6-2.
3. Wendy Owen (UHH) d. Audrey Wingo (UCD), 6-2, 6-4.
4. Sayaka Fukumoto (UHH) d. Jenna Kappel (UCD), 0-6, 6-4, 10-4.
5. Nicole Campbell (UHH) d. Nancy Mok (UCD), 6-3, 6-1.
6. Carolina Ardila (UHH) d. Kaitlin Callan (UCD), 6-4, ret.
1. Fuji/Lum-Tucker (UHH) d. Guier/Muller (UCD), 8-4.
2. Kappel/Mok (UCD) d. Campbell/Fukumoto (UHH), 8-3.
3. Arianne Arao/Owen (UHH) d. Callan/Wingo (UCD), 9-8.
Victory sweep in white flight singles, two doubles duo advance to semifinals
Aggies head to Cal for the first fall tournament
Aggies fill their fall schedule with three tournaments
Tennis 'Pro-Am' fundraiser scheduled for September
ITA honors Jorgensen, von Ebbe, women’s tennis program
Aggies shine on Big West All-Academic Teams
Four teams earn
NCAA Public Recognition Awards