March 30, 2012
HONOLULU, Hawaii - The UC Davis women's tennis team had three singles victories in straight sets and one three-set defeat, falling just short in a 4-3 loss at No. 53 Hawai'i on Friday at the UH Tennis Complex.
After falling behind early by dropping the doubles point, the Aggies took a 3-2 advantage with singles wins at the No. 6, 1 and 5 spots. The Rainbow Wahine managed to hang on however, posting a win at No. 2 singles and a three-set victory in the deciding match at the No. 4 spot. UC Davis fell to 5-10 on the season with the loss while Hawai'i improved to 9-6.
Layla Sanders and Ellie Edles had the best showing in doubles play despite falling 9-7 in the No. 2 position. Nicole Koehly and Melissa Kobayakawa managed to take an exhibition win in doubles action, defeating Kelsey Daguio and Rebecca Faltusz, 8-3.
Edles started singles competition with a win for the Aggies, downing Aglae Van den Bergh at the No. 6 position, 6-2, 6-2. Megan Heneghan evened the score again, cruising to a 6-4, 6-1 win over Barbara Pinterova in No. 1 singles. UC Davis had their first lead of the match following a Layla Sanders win at the No. 5 spot. 6-4, 6-2. The Aggies couldn't complete the upset however, as Martina Kostolova defeated Lauren Curry at the No. 4 position, 6-2, 5-7, 6-2.
UC Davis will look to bounce back tomorrow, facing Division II member No. 5 Hawai'i Pacific at 2 p.m.
UC Davis vs. Hawai'i
Mar. 30, 2012 at Honolulu, Hawaii
UH Tennis Complex
No. 53 Hawai'i 4, UC Davis 3
Doubles (Order of finish: 1,3,2)
1. Barbara Pinterova/Jamie Pawid (UH) def. Megan Heneghan/Kelly Chui (UCD), 8-2
2. Katarina Poljakova/Xenia Suworowa (UH) def. Layla Sanders/Ellie Edles (UCD), 9-7
3. Aglae Van den Bergh/Martina Kostalova (UH) def. Dahra Zamudio/Nicole Koehly (UCD) 8-3
Exhibition: Nicole Koehly/Melissa Kobayakawa (UCD) def. Kelsey Daguio/Rebecca Faltusz (UH), 8-3
Singles (Order of finish: 6,3,1,5,2,4)
1. Heneghan (UCD) def Pinterova (UH), 6-4, 6-1
2. Poljakova (UH) def Zamudio (UCD), 7-6 (5), 6-4
3. Pawid (UH) def. Chui (UCD), 6-2, 6-0
4. Kostalova (UH) def. Lauren Curry (UCD), 6-2, 5-7, 6-2
5. Layla Sanders (UCD) def. Suworowa (UH), 6-4, 6-2
6. Edles (UCD) def. Van den Bergh (UH), 6-2, 6-2
Aggies ready to start new streak this week
Pradeep thwarts Hawai’i’s shutout bid
Rain pushes dual at Hawai'i to Sunday
Aggies open Hawai'i road trip with third straight sweep
New first serve time for women's tennis match vs. UCSB
Women's tennis earns
second straight weekend sweep