March 30, 2012
HONOLULU, Hawaii - The UC Davis women's tennis team had three singles victories in straight sets and one three-set defeat, falling just short in a 4-3 loss at No. 53 Hawai'i on Friday at the UH Tennis Complex.
After falling behind early by dropping the doubles point, the Aggies took a 3-2 advantage with singles wins at the No. 6, 1 and 5 spots. The Rainbow Wahine managed to hang on however, posting a win at No. 2 singles and a three-set victory in the deciding match at the No. 4 spot. UC Davis fell to 5-10 on the season with the loss while Hawai'i improved to 9-6.
Layla Sanders and Ellie Edles had the best showing in doubles play despite falling 9-7 in the No. 2 position. Nicole Koehly and Melissa Kobayakawa managed to take an exhibition win in doubles action, defeating Kelsey Daguio and Rebecca Faltusz, 8-3.
Edles started singles competition with a win for the Aggies, downing Aglae Van den Bergh at the No. 6 position, 6-2, 6-2. Megan Heneghan evened the score again, cruising to a 6-4, 6-1 win over Barbara Pinterova in No. 1 singles. UC Davis had their first lead of the match following a Layla Sanders win at the No. 5 spot. 6-4, 6-2. The Aggies couldn't complete the upset however, as Martina Kostolova defeated Lauren Curry at the No. 4 position, 6-2, 5-7, 6-2.
UC Davis will look to bounce back tomorrow, facing Division II member No. 5 Hawai'i Pacific at 2 p.m.
UC Davis vs. Hawai'i
Mar. 30, 2012 at Honolulu, Hawaii
UH Tennis Complex
No. 53 Hawai'i 4, UC Davis 3
Doubles (Order of finish: 1,3,2)
1. Barbara Pinterova/Jamie Pawid (UH) def. Megan Heneghan/Kelly Chui (UCD), 8-2
2. Katarina Poljakova/Xenia Suworowa (UH) def. Layla Sanders/Ellie Edles (UCD), 9-7
3. Aglae Van den Bergh/Martina Kostalova (UH) def. Dahra Zamudio/Nicole Koehly (UCD) 8-3
Exhibition: Nicole Koehly/Melissa Kobayakawa (UCD) def. Kelsey Daguio/Rebecca Faltusz (UH), 8-3
Singles (Order of finish: 6,3,1,5,2,4)
1. Heneghan (UCD) def Pinterova (UH), 6-4, 6-1
2. Poljakova (UH) def Zamudio (UCD), 7-6 (5), 6-4
3. Pawid (UH) def. Chui (UCD), 6-2, 6-0
4. Kostalova (UH) def. Lauren Curry (UCD), 6-2, 5-7, 6-2
5. Layla Sanders (UCD) def. Suworowa (UH), 6-4, 6-2
6. Edles (UCD) def. Van den Bergh (UH), 6-2, 6-2
Aggies round out regular season with two matches
Women's tennis bested by
Long Beach State