March 30, 2014
DAVIS, Calif. - A doubles round victory and two individual sweeps helped UC Davis collect its fifth straight victory Sunday morning at the Marya Welch Tennis Center by storming past the visiting Portland Pilots by a 4-1 score.
With the win, the Aggies enter a portion of their schedule this upcoming week that includes duals against three league opponents with a 10-6 overall record; Portland slips to 5-5 with the loss.
Starting with UC Davis' inaugural league victory, earned at UC Riverside on Feb. 17, the Aggies have won eight of their last 10 matches.
Tiffany Pham and Samantha Martino started the event on a positive note by earning an 8-2 doubles win over Marina Reimers and Saroop Dhatt. Once Megan Heneghan and Melissa Kobayakawa recorded an 8-4 victory of their own, UC Davis entered the singles round with a 1-0 overall lead.
In a hard-fought doubles contest pitting each teams top pairing against one another, it was Layla Sanders and Nicole Koehly who stepped up when it counted the most. Tied at seven apiece, Sanders and Koehly pulled away from their Portland counterparts by winning the set tiebreaker by a 7-2 margin.
When singles completion started, the Aggies continued to collect victory after victory, starting with Frederique Sleiffer's singles matchup. The first match of the round to end, Sleiffer dominated Emily Gould by picking up a 6-3, 6-3 victory to preserve her unblemished singles record.
The freshman from Frankfurt, Germany, has won all six matches played in dual competition this season.
Pham, one of two Aggies to pick up wins in both matches played against Portland, placed UC Davis one win away from collecting another match victory hen she stepped off her court with another victory over Dhatt. As was the case with her teammate Sleiffer, Pham also posted a 6-3, 6-3 score.
With the individual victory, Pham is a perfect 5-0 when competing at the No. 4 singles position.
Kobayakawa, the other UC Davis to win both matches played throughout the day, ended action with her 7-5, 6-2 straight-set sweep over Jelena Lazarevic.
For the third time in as many matches, UC Davis won all doubles matches played and recorded all singles win in straight-set fashion.
UC Davis also saw Samantha Martino and Claire Meunier record impressive victories over their respective opponents in exhibition action. As was the case with the rest of the Aggies' singles slate, Martino and Meunier chalked up 6-2, 6-1 and 6-1, 6-1 victories respectively against Marina Reimers and Gabrielle Gorence.
The Aggies will return to Big West action beginning April 4, when Cal State Fullerton visits the Marya Welch Tennis Center in the first of three consecutive UC Davis home duals against league foes. Friday's Titans-Aggies matchup will start at 2 p.m.
UC Davis 4, Portland 1
March 30, 2014
Davis, Calif. (Marya Welch Tennis Center)
1. Layla Sanders/Nicole Koehly (UCD) def. Sophie v. d. Aarssen/Jelena Lazarevic (UP) 8-7 (7-2)
2. Megan Heneghan/Melissa Kobayakawa (UCD) def. Maja Mladenovic/Emily Gould (UP) 8-4
3. Tiffany Pham/Samantha Martino (UCD) def. Marina Reimers/Saroop Dhatt (UP) 8-2
1. Megan Heneghan (UCD) vs. Maja Mladenovic (UP) 6-3, 3-6, 4-3, unfinished
2. Melissa Kobayakawa (UCD) def. Jelena Lazarevic (UP) 7-5, 6-2
3. Sophie v. d. Aarssen (UP) def. Nicole Koehly (UCD) 6-4, 6-0
4. Tiffany Pham (UCD) def. Saroop Dhatt (UP) 6-3, 6-3
5. Kamila Kecki (UCD) vs. Tori Troesch (UP) 3-6, 6-3, 0-0, unfinished
6. Frederique Sleiffer (UCD) def. Emily Gould (UP) 6-3, 6-3
7. Samantha Martino (UCD) def. Marina Reimers (UP) 6-2, 6-1 (exh.)
8. Claire Meunier (UCD) def. Gabrielle Gorence (UP) 6-1, 6-1 (exh.)
UC Davis: 9-6
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (6,3,4,2)
Aggies round out regular season with two matches
Women's tennis bested by
Long Beach State