IRVINE, Calif. - By winning her first college singles match, Kelsie Bryant was one of two Aggies who recorded an individual sweep in Sunday's Big West dual at Anteater Tennis Stadium. In addition to winning the first two doubles matchups, Nikita Pradeep and Kristina Breisacher also won their singles matches -- the latter was the other UC Davis player to win both doubles and singles matches played at UC Irvine -- and women's tennis ended its three-match road swing through Southern California with a 4-2 victory over the Anteaters.
The Aggies' final three matches of the season will all take place at the Marya Welch Tennis Center, starting with Friday's 2 p.m. contest vs. UC Riverside. They will enter that dual, and open its final regular season homestand with a 14-7 overall and 2-4 Big West record. UC Irvine is now 3-13 and 0-3 respectively.
For the 10th time this season, UC Davis entered singles play with a 1-0 overall lead by collecting the doubles point. And has been the case the previous nine occasions, it ended the day with a victory.
Bryant and Kristy Jorgensen easily defeated Constance Branstine and Stephanie Hazell, 6-2, to place the Aggies one win away from taking a 1-0 team lead. That situation became reality when Breisacher and Lani-Rae Green posted a 6-3 result in their matchup versus Cassidy Branstine and Stephanie Nguyen.
Once the singles round started, UC Irvine bounced back to take a 2-1 team lead when singles matches at No. 2 and No. 5 finished in its favor.
That advantage would not last long.
Breisacher was the first Aggie to win a singles match; by doing so with her 6-2, 6-4 score against Stephanie Nguyen, tied the overall score at 2-2 in the process.
After splitting her first two sets played vs. Ashlynn Hall (6-4, 3-6), Bryant responded by winning the third set, 6-4, and set the stage for a dramatic finish by Pradeep.
Down one set after falling 1-6 in her singles contest, Pradeep trailed 1-4 before winning six of the next seven games to force a decisive frame. To extend her match, the Aggie freshman faced two match points in the second set, and survived each time.
In the third set, Pradeep stared down three match points for C. Branstine, and stepped up on each occasion. By will, sheer force and determination, Pradeep turned back each one of those five match points and came up clutch on one of her own by winning the third-set tiebreaker, 8-6.
UC Davis 4, UC Irvine 2
April 2, 2017
Irvine, Calif. (Anteater Tennis Stadium)
1. Bryant, Kelsie/Jorgensen, Kristy (UCD) def. Constance Branstine/Stephanie Hazell (UCI-W) 6-2
2. Breisacher, Kristina/Green, Lani-Rae (UCD) def. Cassidy Branstine/Stephanie Nguyen (UCI-W) 6-3
3. Hali Dickson/Vivien Dvali (UCI-W) def. Martino, Samantha/Pradeep, Nikita (UCD) 6-3
1. Constance Branstine (UCI-W) vs. Jorgensen, Kristy (UCD) 6-7 (2-7), 7-6 (8-6), 4-2, unfinished
2. Vivien Dvali (UCI-W) def. Green, Lani-Rae (UCD) 6-3, 5-2 ret.
3. Breisacher, Kristina (UCD) def. Stephanie Nguyen (UCI-W) 6-2, 6-4
4. Pradeep, Nikita (UCD) def. Cassidy Branstine (UCI-W) 1-6, 7-5, 7-6 (8-6)
5. Stephanie Hazell (UCI-W) def. Martino, Samantha (UCD) 6-3, 7-5
6. Bryant, Kelsie (UCD) def. Ashlynn Hall (UCI-W) 6-4, 3-6, 6-4
UC Davis 14-7, 2-4 BWC
UC Irvine 3-13, 0-3 BWC
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (2,5,3,6,4)