April 5, 2013
DAVIS, Calif. - Ellie Edles posted the only team point for UC Davis Friday afternoon against No. 43 Long Beach State, the ninth nationally-ranked team the Aggies have faced this season, falling to the 49ers 6-1 at the Marya Welch Tennis Center in the first of six straight home matches.
UC Davis enters Saturday's match against UC Riverside with a 7-10 overall record and 2-3 mark against league opponents, Long Beach State is now 16-3 and 6-1.
In her singles match at UC Davis' No. 5, Edles easily dispatched Long Beach State's Karollina Rozenberg 6-4, 6-2 in the day's penultimate match to earn the Aggies' only team point.
With the win, Edles extended her singles win streak to four matches, a string of success that commenced at Cal State Fullerton last March.
In the doubles round, Long Beach escaped with a win on court No. 1; in a contest that featured each team's top pairing, both squads earned a combined four service breaks in the first four games played. By earning the frame's fifth service break, the 49ers were able to create the distance needed and held on to capture the set.
UC Davis will experience a quick turnaround as the UC Riverside Highlanders will visit the Marya Welch Tennis Center in an 10 a.m. Big West match on Saturday, April 6.
#43 Long Beach State 6, UC Davis 1
April 5, 2013, at Davis, Calif.
(Marya Welch Tennis Center)
1. Ebba Unden/Karolina Rozenberg (LBSU) def. Nicole Koehly/Layla Sanders (UCD) 8-4
2. Klaudia Malenovska/Sarah Cantlay (LBSU) def. Megan Heneghan/Melissa Kobayakawa (UCD) 8-3
3. Anna Jeczmionka/Anne-Sophie Willems (LBSU) def. Ellie Edles/Lauren Curry (UCD) 8-3
1. Ebba Unden (LBSU) def. Megan Heneghan (UCD) 6-3, 4-2, retired
2. Klaudia Malenovska (LBSU) def. Layla Sanders (UCD) 6-1, 6-2
3. Sarah Cantlay (LBSU) def. Lauren Curry (UCD) 6-1, 6-1
4. Anna Jeczmionka (LBSU) def. Melissa Kobayakawa (UCD) 7-5, 6-0
5. Ellie Edles (UCD) def. Karolina Rozenberg (LBSU) 6-4, 6-2
6. Anne-Sophie Willems (LBSU) def. Nicole Koehly (UCD) 6-4, 6-1
Match Notes: UC Davis 7-10, 2-3 BWC; Long Beach State 16-3, 6-1 BWC; National ranking #43
Order of Finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (3,6,2,1,5,4)
UC Davis drops narrow decision at Nevada
Five-match win streak joins Aggie road trip this week
Rain ends home dual vs. Montana State prematurely
Aggies extend streak to five with 6-1 win
Aggies record fourth shutout victory of the season
Women's tennis seeks homestand sweep this weekend
Massive comeback leads
to 4-3 victory