UC Davis will return to the Marya Welch Tennis Center Sunday morning for its showdown against No. 63 UC Irvine with an 11-6 overall record and 3-2 Big West mark. Cal State Fullerton is now 5-14 and 0-6 respectively.
With Saturday’s victory, the Aggies have won their last six straight and nine of their last 11 duals.
Shifted to Saturday after experiencing rain in the final moments of Friday’s warm-up, this matchup was originally scheduled to take place Friday afternoon, Mother Nature cooperated by giving everyone in attendance clear skies and perfect tennis-playing weather.
Once action began, UC Davis took the first two doubles matches to collect the first point of the day. Shortly after Megan Heneghan and Melissa Kobayakawa defeated Megan Sandford and Alexis Valenzuela, Tiffany Pham and her partner Samantha Martino ended the doubles round by defeating Kalika Slevcove and Melanie Abelia.
Both UC Davis pairings breezed past their opponents by matching 8-4 scores.
Of the first four singles matches to finish, UC Davis was triumphant in three of those head-to-head matchups.
Even though the first singles match to finish ended in the Titans’ favor, UC Davis responded by winning the next three consecutive singles matches to extend its win streak.
Sanders was the first Aggie to walk off the court with a win; after defeating Camille De Leon 6-0, 6-1, Pham and Kecki were the next singles matches to finish with each posting straight-set scores.
After winning her doubles match earlier in the day, Pham defeated Slevcove for the second time with her 6-4, 6-2 victory. Kecki only dropped two games on the day to Jessica Pepa, and blanked her Fullerton counterpart en route to her 6-2, 6-0 win.
With the Big West Championships looming at the end of the month, Sunday’s meeting between No. 63 UC Irvine is a critical one for both participants with each attempting to earn the most favorable draw possible at the conference’s season-ending event. First serve between the Anteaters and Aggies is set for 11 a.m.
UC Davis 4, Cal State Fullerton 3
April 5, 2014
Davis, Calif. (Marya Welch Tennis Center)
1. Layla Sanders/Nicole Koehly (UCD) vs. Morgan McIntosh/Camille De Leon (CSF) 3-4, unfinished
2. Megan Heneghan/Melissa Kobayakawa (UCD) def. Megan Sandford/Alexis Valenzuela (CSF) 8-4
3. Tiffany Pham/Samantha Martino (UCD) def. Kalika Slevcove/Melanie Abella (CSF) 8-4
1. Alexis Valenzuela (CSF) def. Megan Heneghan (UCD) 6-4, 6-0
2. Morgan McIntosh (CSF) def. Melissa Kobayakawa (UCD) 3-6, 4-3, retired
3. Layla Sanders (UCD) def. Camille De Leon (CSF) 6-0, 6-1
4. Tiffany Pham (UCD) def. Kalika Slevcove (CSF) 6-4, 6-2
5. Megan Sandford (CSF) def. Nicole Koehly (UCD) 6-1, retired
6. Kamila Kecki (UCD) def. Jessica Pepa (CSF) 6-2, 6-0
7. Frederique Sleiffer (UCD) def. Rebekkah Ermac (CSF) 6-4, retired (exh.)
Cal State Fullerton 5-14, 0-6 BWC
UC Davis 11-6, 3-2 BWC
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (5,6,3,4,2,1)
Match pushed back one day due to rainfall that took place during warm-ups on originally scheduled date (April 4).