April 6, 2014
DAVIS, Calif. – In a battle featuring two of the Big West’s hottest teams, UC Davis posted the doubles point in Sunday’s league match at the Marya Welch Tennis Center, but UC Irvine won four straight singles contests to come-from-behind and defeat the Aggies by a 4-1 margin.
Competing in its second league dual in as many days, UC Davis will enter the final game of its four-match homestand against CSUN Tuesday afternoon with an 11-7 overall and 3-3 league mark while UC Irvine improves to 14-5 and 6-0 respectively.
The loss snapped the Aggies’ six-match win streak; with Sunday’s result, UCI has now won its last 11 straight.
By winning the first two doubles matches, UC Davis’ day started on a positive note with Megan Heneghan and Melissa Kobayakawa winning their 12th straight doubles match. The duo trumped UCI’s Sara Gong and Brooke Schweyer 8-5; teammates Layla Sanders and Nicole Koehly ended the round by winning their tiebreak, 7-4, to record an 8-7 match victory over Ale Facey and Franziska Goettsching.
When the event changed rounds, so too did the Aggies’ fortunes as the first four singles matches to finish were won by the Anteaters. By doing so, Irvine kept pace with league leader Long Beach State who also sports an undefeated Big West record.
Samantha Martino recorded an individual sweep of her two exhibition matches played against UC Irvine as she followed an 8-5 doubles triumph alongside Frederique Sleiffer with a straight-set 6-0, 6-2 win over Schweyer.
Even though UC Davis sits tied for fifth alongside UCSB with two league matches remaining, the Aggies have an opportunity to quickly climb the league standings as the next two teams on their schedule occupy fourth and third place respectively.
Ahead of the Aggies by a slim half-match margin, CSUN will visit the Marya Welch Tennis Center for Tuesday’s 2 p.m. match also with three Big West wins. Next week’s schedule also includes a trip to the islands and a head-to-head meeting with Hawai’i, a team that currently sports a 4-2 record.
No. 63 UC Irvine 4, UC Davis 1
April 6, 2014
Davis, Calif. (Marya Welch Tennis Center)
1. Layla Sanders/Nicole Koehly (UCD) def. Ali Facey/Franziska Goettsching (UCI) 8-7 (7-4)
2. Megan Heneghan/Melissa Kobayakawa (UCD) def. Sarah Gong/Brooke Schweyer (UCI) 8-5
3. Tiffany Pham/Samantha Martino (UCD) vs. Kat Facey/Sarah Stadfelt (UCI) 6-7, unfinished
4. Kamila Kecki/Frederique Sleiffer (UCD) def. Marivick Mamiit/Andrea Duva (UCI) 8-5 (exh.)
1. Megan Heneghan (UCD) vs. Sarah Gong (UCI) 6-3, 3-3, unfinished
2. Marivick Mamiit (UCI) def. Melissa Kobayakawa (UCD) 6-3, 6-3
3. Franziska Goettsching (UCI) def. Layla Sanders (UCD) 6-2, 6-2
4. Ali Facey (UCI) def. Tiffany Pham (UCD) 1-6, 6-2, 6-1
5. Kat Facey (UCI) def. Kamila Kecki (UCD) 6-3, 6-3
6. Frederique Sleiffer (UCD) vs. Sarah Stadfelt (UCI) 7-5, 4-4, unfinished
7. Samantha Martino (UCD) def. Brooke Schweyer (UCI) 6-0, 6-2 (exh.)
UC Irvine 14-5, 6-0 BWC; National ranking #63
UC Davis 11-7, 3-3 BWC
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1); Singles (2,4,5,3)