April 8, 2014
DAVIS, Calif. - UC Davis won the doubles point and captured four of six singles matches in Tuesday afternoon's Big West home finale at the Marya Welch Tennis Center to defeat the Cal State Northridge Matadors by a 5-2 score.
The Aggies will now travel to Hawai'i for their next two matches, a trip that includes the team's final league dual of the year, with a 12-7 overall and 4-3 Big West record. CSUN ends its road Northern California road trip with an 11-7 and 3-3 mark.
With the 2014 Big West Women's Tennis Championships rapidly approaching, Tuesday's result was a critical one because it vaults the Aggies to fourth place, one-half game behind Saturday's opponent-the Hawai'i Rainbow Wahine. Even through Cal State Northridge has one match in hand compared to UC Davis, the Matadors trail the Aggies by one win and will lose the head-to-head tiebreaker, if needed, to determine seeding at this year's conference tournament.
Two days after No. 63 UC Irvine snapped their six-match win streak, the Aggies started Tuesday's match with victories in two of three doubles contests.
Following Tiffany Pham and Samantha Martino's 8-2 victory over Lorraine Cheung and Scout Shutter at No. 3, Megan Heneghan and Melissa Kobayakawa, competing at No. 2, extended their doubles streak to 13 by easily dispatching Vivian Lin and Criss Rodriguez, 8-3.
By winning the first two singles matches, CSUN was able to dig itself out of its doubles-imposed deficit to take a 2-1 overall lead. However, the Matadors' lead was brief as the Aggies stormed back to win the final four matchups en route to another home victory.
After dropping her first set to Heneghan 6-2, CSUN's Lin was forced to retire with the score tied at six apiece in the second set, suffering another loss at the hands of her Aggie counterpart.
A 6-3, 6-4 straight-set victory by Kamila Kecki (over singles specialist Jessica Warren) broke a 2-2 deadlock to give her team a one-point lead with two singles matches still in action.
Following a 7-5 first-set victory, Layla Sanders completed UC Davis' comeback by downing Rodriguez, 6-3, in the second frame. Even though Sanders' straight-set result officially clinched the match, Nicole Koehly capped the day with another straight-set win by downing Lorraine Cheung 6-1 and 6-4.
UC Davis is Honolulu-bound for its next two matches starting with Friday's 9 a.m. HT/11 a.m. PT contest at Hawai'i-Pacific, a precursor for Saturday's Big West finale at Hawai'i.
UC Davis 5, Cal State Northridge 2
April 8, 2014
Davis, Calif. (Marya Welch Tennis Center)
1. Mickey Hsu/Kristen Poei (CSUN) def. Layla Sanders/Nicole Koehly (UCD) 8-5
2. Megan Heneghan/Melissa Kobayakawa (UCD) def. Vivian Lin/Criss Rodriguez (CSUN) 8-3
3. Tiffany Pham/Samantha Martino (UCD) def. Lorraine Cheung/Scout Shutter (CSUN) 8-2
1. Megan Heneghan (UCD) def. Vivian Lin (CSUN) 6-2, 6-6, retired
2. Mickey Hsu (CSUN) def. Melissa Kobayakawa (UCD) 6-3, 6-2
3. Layla Sanders (UCD) def. Criss Rodriguez (CSUN) 7-5, 6-3
4. Kristen Poei (CSUN) def. Tiffany Pham (UCD) 6-4, 6-1
5. Nicole Koehly (UCD) def. Lorraine Cheung (CSUN) 6-1, 6-4
6. Kamila Kecki (UCD) def. Jessica Warren (CSUN) 6-3, 6-4
7. Frederique Sleiffer (UCD) def. Scout Shutter (CSUN) 8-6 (exh.)
8. Mari Taslagyan (CSUN) def. Samantha Martino (UCD) 8-6 (exh.)
Cal State Northridge 11-7, 3-3 BWC
UC Davis 12-7, 4-3 BWC
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (2,4,1,6,3,5)
2014 Big West home finale for UC Davis.
Aggies round out regular season with two matches
Women's tennis bested by
Long Beach State