April 13, 2013
DAVIS, Calif. – In its final Big West match of the season, UC Davis took the doubles point against the visiting UC Santa Barbara Gauchos, but only claimed one of the six singles matchups to fall 5-2 at the Marya Welch Tennis Center Saturday afternoon.
UC Davis drops to 9-12 with a 4-5 conference record while UCSB improves to 14-6 and 5-2.
Before action began, a gathering of fans and supporters of UC Davis tennis attended the unveiling of the new Marya Welch Tennis Center Entryway Dedication, an event that also saw current student-athlete Ellie Edles speak on behalf of her team.
Once the match began, the Aggies quickly captured the doubles point when Nicole Koehly and Layla Sanders defeated UCSB’s Paola Cos and Priscilla Garcia 8-0, followed by Melissa Kobayakawa and Megan Heneghan downing Erica Cano and Stacy Yam 8-5.
The win was the first of two for Kobayakawa as she came from behind to defeat Garcia in her singles match 1-6, 6-0, 6-2 to post the Aggies’ other team point.
“The match is never over until it is really over,” said Kobayakawa regarding her first set result. “Mentally, I needed to stay positive and keep fighting.
“She felt the pressure after losing that second set. I knew I could outlast her; when I saw her breaking down I just wanted to keep doing what I was doing.”
Only one match remains until UC Davis faces its conference foes once again at the Big West Championships starting April 25.
“We just want to take everything one match at a time, but our biggest goal is winning a Big West championship.”
UC Santa Barbara 5, UC Davis 2
April 13, 2013, at Davis, Calif.
(Marya Welch Tennis Center)
1. April Scatliffe (UCSB) def. Layla Sanders (UCD) 7-5, 2-6, 7-6 (7-5)
2. Kiersten Meehan (UCSB) def. Lauren Curry (UCD) 6-0, 6-3
3. Paola Cos (UCSB) def. Ellie Edles (UCD) 6-2, 6-1
4. Melissa Kobayakawa (UCD) def. Priscila Garcia (UCSB) 1-6, 6-0, 6-2
5. Stacy Yam (UCSB) def. Nicole Koehly (UCD) 6-2, 6-2
6. Erica Cano (UCSB) def. Tiffany Pham (UCD) 3-6, 6-2, 6-1
1. Nicole Koehly/Layla Sanders (UCD) def. Paola Cos/Priscila Garcia (UCSB) 8-0
2. Kiersten Meehan/April Scatliffe (UCSB) def. Ellie Edles/Tiffany Pham (UCD) 8-4
3. Melissa Kobayakawa/Megan Heneghan (UCD) def. Erica Cano/Stacy Yam (UCSB) 8-5
Match Notes: UC Santa Barbara 14-6, 5-2 BWC; UC Davis 9-12, 4-5 BWC
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (3,5,2,4,6,1)
Aggies round out regular season with two matches
Women's tennis bested by
Long Beach State