LONG BEACH, Calif. — The UC Davis women’s tennis team was off to a good start against Big West school Long Beach State strong after sealing the doubles point, thanks to their wins at the No. 1 and No. 3 position; however, the 49ers made a comeback in singles play to garner their 4-1 victory over the Aggies at the Rhodes Tennis Center on Sunday afternoon.
UC Davis is now 14-5 overall for the dual season, and 6-2 in Big West Conference play.
Aggie tandem Kelsie Bryant and Kristy Jorgensen got the ball rolling for the Aggies after earning the first of two doubles win at the No. 1 position over Natalie Muniz and Lalita Devarakonda, 6-1, but Long Beach State tied the wins 1-1 after their victory at No. 2. Thankfully, UC Davis freshmen Shirley Hall and Sara Tsukamoto were able to clinch the doubles point for their team with a 6-4 win at the No. 3 position after meeting on the courts with Carlota Casasampere and Georgia Gulin.
Unfortunately, the Aggies were unable to secure a singles match win over the 49ers, and the home team eventually went on to seal a 4-1 conference victory over the visiting team.
The UC Davis women’s tennis team returns to action next Friday (Apr. 20) as they make an out-of-state trip to Reno, Nev., to play against Nevada’s team. The Aggies will then make a quick turnaround to welcome Causeway school Sacramento State to the Marya Welch Tennis Center on Saturday (Apr. 21) at 11 a.m.
NCAA WOMEN’S TENNIS
UC Davis (14-5) at Long Beach State (11-8)
Sun., Apr. 15, 2018 at Long Beach, Calif. (Rhodes Tennis Center)
FINAL SCORE: Long Beach State 4, UC Davis 1
1. Kelsie Bryant / Kristy Jorgensen (UCD) def. Natalie Munoz/Lalita Devarakonda (LBSU), 6-1
2. Lena Pacholski/Sadaf Sadeghvaziri (LBSU) def. Lani-Rae Green / Kristina Breisacher (UCD), 6-4
3. Shirley Hall / Sara Tsukamoto (UCD) def. Carlota Casasampere/Georgia Gulin (LBSU), 6-4
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3*
1. Lena Pacholski (LBSU) def. Kristy Jorgensen (UCD), 6-3, 7-5
2. Natalie Munoz (LBSU) def. Kristina Breisacher (UCD), 4-6, 6-1, 6-0
3. Maren Helga (LBSU) def. Lani-Rae Green (UCD), 6-3, 5-7, unfinished
4. Lalta Devarakonda (LBSU) def. Sara Tsukamoto (UCD), 6-2, 6-4
5. Carlota Casasampere (LBSU) def. Isabella von Ebbe (UCD), 6-1, 6-3
6. Georgia Gulin (LBSU) def. Shirley Hall (UCD), 6-2, 4-6, 3-0, unfinished
Order of Finish: 1, 5, 4, 2*
CONNECT WITH WOMEN’S TENNIS ON SOCIAL MEDIA:
UC Davis Women's Tennis Facebook Page | UC Davis Women's Tennis Instagram Page
ABOUT UC DAVIS
Providing a small-town community feel while providing a world-class academic experience, UC Davis is home to more than 37,000 students and centrally located between San Francisco, Lake Tahoe, and the Napa Valley.
Ranked among the top 10 public universities in the nation according to the Wall Street Journal and U.S. News and World Report, UC Davis offers nearly 100 graduate programs and more than 100 undergraduate majors across four colleges and six professional schools, including the world's top-ranked veterinary science and agriculture programs.
DON'T MISS OUT!
Tickets for all UC Davis sports are available by contacting the Athletics Ticket Office at (530) 752-AGS1, or by visiting us online at UCDavisAggies.com.
— #GoAgs —